Sangean HDT-20 HD Tuner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be helpful if we knew what chipset is being used. I'm thinking it's not too different from earlier models.

Comment

I received my hdt-20 yesterday. I'm using a Winegars hd6010 omnidirectional antenna at 25 ft with it. The sound quality on the hd stations and local analogs is outstanding. That's the good news.
      This tuner is not for dxing. I'm 37 miles north of Chicago and 52 miles south of Milwaukee. Chicago fm stations sound great and lock easily. Milwaukee fm stations such as 93.3, 95.7, 96.5 etc that are directly adjacent to Chicago are no where to be found. Distant stations not adjacent to Chicago stations such as Werv 95.9 are garbled and full of noise.

Comment

Originally posted by EdmondDxer View Post
        I received my hdt-20 yesterday. I'm using a Winegars hd6010 omnidirectional antenna at 25 ft with it. The sound quality on the hd stations and local analogs is outstanding. That's the good news.
        This tuner is not for dxing. I'm 37 miles north of Chicago and 52 miles south of Milwaukee. Chicago fm stations sound great and lock easily. Milwaukee fm stations such as 93.3, 95.7, 96.5 etc that are directly adjacent to Chicago are no where to be found. Distant stations not adjacent to Chicago stations such as Werv 95.9 are garbled and full of noise.
        I packed up the hdt-20 today and returned it to Amazon. There is an excellent review of this tuner on Amazon by a poster named DirectedEnergy. It details everything wrong with this tuner better than I ever could.
        I really want a hd tuner so I ordered a used Sangean hdt-1 from EBay. Mike Bugaj wrote an excellent review of this tuner in 2007 so I'm hoping this model will work well.

Comment

That's sad. I was hoping it would have an even better decode unit in it, but that's irrelevant if the selectivity is like 5dB or something!!!!!!! what Edmond is describing, sounds like the awful selectivity on the KLH-18 tuner which I had half a century ago, where I was nearly 40 miles from the Detroit stations and the adjacent frequencies were almost entirely unusable.

Is there any such thing as an SDR tuner which can withstand the rigors of having a massive high-gain outdoor antenna hooked up to it and not overload, and yet have great adjacent selectivity? The HDT isn't an SDR unit, of course, but it would be great to have one inline, and actually be able to archive a block of frequencies while I DX. (I would probably archive 88.1 up to whatever range is available, while I DX "higher up" in real time.)
          "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires" - Susan B. Anthony

IF VEGETARIANS EAT vegetables, then what do humanitarians eat?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Merrill View Post

Is there any such thing as an SDR tuner which can withstand the rigors of having a massive high-gain outdoor antenna hooked up to it and not overload, and yet have great adjacent selectivity?
            Of course there are. You just need to buy one and try one. And if you don't like it just send it back and get your money back. If you never try one, you'll never know.
            Mike B.
            Enfield, CT
            -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
            FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
            mikesdx.com

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
            Working...
            X