Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Channel Master 4228, old style - seriously modifying it??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary, top of the antenna is measured at 25' on the tower, and yes, it is on a rotor. I wanted to get this done before the tropo season really kicks in. Seems like here for the tropo season is late September up through end of December. I've had some good long haul ducts in January and February also, then it seems the weather goes sideways in the Spring and tropo becomes a wreck until mid summer.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
    Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
    Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

One of these days if you have time maybe you can tell me the right way to interpret the graphs on your autologger? Based on what I see (and what little I actually know) there look to be improvements on some channels and maybe a little more tinkering needed for some others? Or is that just the nature of the game with that setup?

Your pulling KNWA tonight....and all I have is a blizzard on channel 50! lol

Comment

Nature of the game, period. I have to ride it out for awhile and see how the things I'm familiar with, the typical signal reception BEFORE antenna tweaks, work with this new setup. One of the things that you have to take into account with EVERY antenna setup is SNR (signal to noise ratio). You want that number as low as possible. Sometimes you can't get the SNR down on certain channels, because there is terrestrial noise that interferes with certain channels (cell towers, RF from an airport, RF from devices in the home, etc). To take a look at what the SNR is doing on my autologger, you can go here (bookmark page if you want to).....
        http://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?r...T&unit=&auto=Y

On that page you see a column Curr SS, which is actually a reflection of the SNR, so there is a number on every channel, whether there is a signal there or not. The autologger tuner reads the SNR on every channel and that information is sent to Trip's Rabbitears autologger system. His website/system generates pages for each autologger that is setup with him.

Here's a question for you - what type of TV are you using for dxing? A *blizzard* means analog (NTSC). Most of us now are doing digital (ATSC) TV dxing. Of course ATSC is a black screen (no snow). Some do a little analog dxing, but most of that stuff is gone. Can you pull up individual channel's with the TV's tuner so you can check signal strength? As an example, KY3 broadcasts on rf 44 and remaps to VC 3. SO, can you bring up a reference screen to rf 44 and see what the KY3 signal actually looks like on a signal strength meter that would be in the TV? If those things are lacking in your TV, it almost sounds like you need to also be running a Zenith/Insignia converter box for TV dxing. That is, IF you really like doing this as a hobby and plan to stay at it for awhile.

I will PM you my email address and my cell #.
        Last edited by Jim Thomas; 09-27-2016, 10:19 PM. Reason: Basic edit.
        Jim Thomas
        Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
        Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

KNWA 50/51 Rogers AR at 67 miles, KODE 43/12, KSNF 46/16 and KOZJ 25/26 Joplin at 65 miles, all in again solid tonight, on a totally flat dx night, with the new antenna tweak. Maybe this antenna is a keeper.
          Jim Thomas
          Springfield, MO EM37

Comment

Jim,
            Were you getting, these channels Before, this antenna ? If so, how did the signal compare, to now ? This antennas "looks" like a signal magnet ! Guess you will next more, next DX season.

Gary H.

Comment

I did get KNWA and the Joplin stations quite often, but with the regular 4228 and pre-amp, in totally flat conditions, they were very marginal and most of the time they would disappear. Its interesting that KODE 43/12 has a signal there almost 24/7 now, even if it is only sub-decode.
              Jim Thomas
              Springfield, MO EM37

Comment

Revisiting the Channel Master 4228/4221=4229 kit bash

I decided to come back here and do an update on what is happening with this antenna setup. About one month ago (early June) I decided to relocate my dx antennas on my property and get them as far away from trees as possible. That helped some. But then I was noticing a gradual degradation of signal on my local channels. Another dxer even mentioned to me he noticed that on my autologger. So I started snooping around with the antenna and discovered I had at least one balun that was bad or it was going bad. So I decided to pull all three baluns and replace them with brand new RCA brand baluns. I have regular 300-ohm terminals on each 4-bay, with a 300-ohm to 75-ohm balun connected and then a 30" piece of 75-ohm coax that connects to a 4x1 balanced combiner. Ports 1, 2 & 3 are the three 4 bays (in series); port 4 is the VHF 2-6 yagi. The combiner then is fed into the pre-amp.

I have already noticed a dramatic difference, not just in the signal increase with my locals, but performance during tropo activity. Early in the morning on July 11 (Tuesday), there was marginal tropo that stretched east to Nashville (371 miles). There were a handful of re-logs on the autologger, with one NEW log, WBBJ 43/7 Jackson TN @ 283 miles.

What was interesting was going through the autologger graphs for open channels and looking at the time frame 12 AM to 6 AM. There were a total of 29 channels that had some kind of signal activity during that 6 hour duration. Seven of the channels ended up with ID's, so 22 channels remained that the signal didn't get strong enough for the TSID data being able to be read on the autologger. I have a strong feeling the balun switch out was a good move and my dx numbers will go up as we move closer to the tropo season.

***You can check here and see what is going on with my HDHR autologger. It is running most of the time...
                https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?...T&unit=&auto=Y
                Last edited by Jim Thomas; 07-13-2017, 09:55 AM.
                Jim Thomas
                Springfield, MO EM37

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Working...
                X