Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of the New Korner 9.2 up and running and impressive!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of the New Korner 9.2 up and running and impressive!

I got my Korner 9.2 yesterday from UPS from Les. It took me a while to figure out everything and the directions were in German. I opened the box, and found everything there. No damage shipping from AL. The first thing I noticed, was how well the materials are built. The tubing is much thicker that on any antenna I have used. Everything is well designed and built to last. I bought 3- FM6's last year and I have one left. The coastal salt air and winds just does not help either. The FM6 antenna worked fine when first installed, but soon in our weather the connections between the elements deteriorated to the point where the antenna work work okay one day and not so good another day. Then add to that, any rain seemed to short out the FM6 as the gain dropped a lot. The old adage, a person gets what they pay for. But in the case of the FM6, I had little choice as there wasn't anything else available. at the time. Moving back to the 9.2, as I said it took me a while to get it built. Before I went to bed last night I had the frame all done, leaving only the elements to be added. Then I added those this morning, took it out and put it on the pole. The antenna is much larger than I thought, especially with the gigantic reflector on the end. Nine elements in total and about 82 inches in length. The FM6 is at 68 inches. Plus several of the elements on the 9.2, are longer. The antenna weighs about 10 pounds when completed, and as Brian said has more wind load than the FM6. That is for sure. clamping to my 20 foot pole and raising it was not an easy task, but it up. It seems a bit top heavy, so I plan to lower the antenna to 15 feet where the FM6 was last year. In the Spring I may raise it after our Pacific storms are over. I don't want to worry about it. The info claims it can handle at least a 85 MPH wind, but I am going to baby this as I may never be able to buy another.
    First observations. I pointed in to the East where I found KPQ FM 102.1 Wenatchee WA a bit stronger than on the FM6, at 200 miles. Then to 98.5, where after the Olympia WA station came back on (98.5), I pretty much lost KEYG Grand Coulee WA, but now splitting hairs, I have KEYG back. Rather poor, as I have to null Olympia, but it there. Many stations are popping into HD better and others that did not with the FM6, at least try with the flashing logo on the Sony. During rain today, the antenna continues to work just fine. No exposed connecting lines to short out either. The nulls are pretty sharp, but I still get too much interference from Seaside LOS off the back. It is far better than the FM6, but still more interference than I like. When I had the FM6 at 15 feet rather than 20 feet, it was easier to get HD out of Seattle on some co channels, as the antenna being lower, I got less LOS off the back. So at least in my case, height it not always the best way to go. Also Victoria/Vancouver BC stations are weaker with the antenna raised. I do notice, like with my old 6065 I used to have, that clear channels generally have a weak signal or 2-3 signals above the threshold. I did not find that on the FM6. I am very happy with the Korner 9.2. It is about the best I can use here. It is one great antenna to say the least!

As others have reported, the 9.2 is very directional for its size, and also the height makes quite a difference. Lowered the antenna down from 20 feet to 16 feet for the Winter and even the 4 feet made a difference. I never noticed the change so drastic with the FM6. Quite the antenna.Nulling locals is a sharp situation. The nulls are not what I expected, as the null may not in exactly 180 degrees from the strong signal. Also it depends on frequency. So far I have heard quite a few new stations. Next Spring I will be adding a rotor, but I may have to remove the rotor in the Winter, as with our winds it may snap. But at least I can have it up during the E Skip season. My old FM6, I pointed one direction, with poor F/B (unmodified), I did not notice the weak stations in the strongest station nulls as much. The 9.2 does take time to get used to it. The old 6065 had more forward gain, but the F/B was not as good. But that was in the days before I needed goof F/B. Now with translators popping up everywhere, the directivity is really needed. I would like to have a larger Korner, but I may only use it in the Spring/Summer/Fall, as keeping it up may be an issue. But the Forward gain would be great. The Konrer is one great antenna.

Comment

Typical antenna patterns show deepest nulls at 270 and 90 degrees, or thereabouts. Patterns do change with frequency. Highly optimized designs such as Korner's seem to be more consistent over the band.

If you're feeling really daring and want more directivity, try a horizontally mounted pair; skyhook engineering needs to be good for such arrays to survive winter weather...

Comment

Korner 9.2

Originally posted by Damon Hill View Post
        Typical antenna patterns show deepest nulls at 270 and 90 degrees, or thereabouts. Patterns do change with frequency. Highly optimized designs such as Korner's seem to be more consistent over the band.

If you're feeling really daring and want more directivity, try a horizontally mounted pair; skyhook engineering needs to be good for such arrays to survive winter weather...
        Thanks.
        As much as I would like to have a pair up and with the current one, I am sure I could build a second one, the weight would be a bit much. I plan to retrofit the large reflector with a couple pieces of PVC pipe to give it more strength in the winds. The boom and elements are strong enough to take a lot of wind, but that relector does move around a bit more than I like in even 50-60 MPH gusts. It is supposed to handle at least 70 MPH winds. No mention of these being gusts of sustained winds. So far this Winter has not been all that bad.. I have only took the antenna down once and I think I was too concerned as I did not need to do it. I think I will add a rotor next Summer, as the 9.2 is so sensitive that aligning it for nulls are hard to do without a rotor. I may add a hinge at the bottom with a cable and pulley to crank down the antenna during heavy winds anyway. With the rotor, the extra wright will be harder to handle, especially as I nearly 68. But I sure love the antenna. I wish it had a bit more gain, but for the size it works well. In looking are Brian's site the gain overall is a bit better that the 6055. and the directivity is a lot better. I used to have the 6065 and I miss it, but that was back in the 70s & 80s, before the dial filled up. What I really need to probably a strong version of the APS13, but those are rare to find. The Korner 15 would also be a good choice. But again the more directive the yagi is, the more chance to miss an E Skip opening.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
        Working...
        X