Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a little help identifying a Balun

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some help identifying and getting some specs on a Balun connector:

It's a "General Instrument Jerrold model T-6000-4"

I looked and looked and looked and I can't fins squat on this thing.

I appreciate the help folks!

Jerrold's been out business quite a while, I think.

Comment

Thanks for the reply I talked to Dad the other day and they could be anywhere from 1975 or so up to around 1990. They are definitely prior to HDTV. I saw some General Instrument baluns similar style from the mid-1960's and the "General Instrument" printing is identical to mine.

I guess I could have been a bit clearer with my question too....I'm after the specs for that balun if anyone has them or knows how to decode by model number?

Comment

Originally posted by DXseekerMO View Post
        ...identifying and getting some specs on ..."General Instrument Jerrold model T-6000-4"
        Don't know about the "-4"

It might be optimized VHF only, likely is unless the “-4” is a broader band version.

40 dB is good balance specification.

In the early days baluns were designed for VHF only. Baluns were mostly
        used in MATV/CATV applications, matching cable to 300-Ohm only inputs of TV’s.
        At first, only VHF was used for TV signal transmission over cable.

Attached Files

Comment

Now that is some kind of awesome! Where did you manage to come up with that? These were likely from the early days of CATV then, and Dad was right! What is MATV...never heard that? Do you have any opinion on how well this balun might work with HDTV?

Thank you very much tripleo! I appreciate it!

Comment

MATV = master antenna, as in a single antenna/array for a building with distribution system.

The balun hardly cares what kind of modulation goes through it, but it may be lossy at UHF frequencies.

Lots of 'fallen flags' out there: Finco, Jerrold, Blonder Tongue(?), JFD, possibly Antennacraft by now, Kay-Townes

Comment

Originally posted by Damon Hill View Post
              MATV = master antenna, as in a single antenna/array for a building with distribution system.

The balun hardly cares what kind of modulation goes through it, but it may be lossy at UHF frequencies.

Lots of 'fallen flags' out there: Finco, Jerrold, Blonder Tongue(?), JFD, possibly Antennacraft by now, Kay-Townes
              .....and another once close to my family........Zenith, well at least the American owned Zenith. I can see the lossy UHF in my TV. Jim Thomas pulled 41 WBUY Memphis this AM and some stations in Little Rock......I didn't even have hyper-snow. We're 20 miles or so from each other, but his antenna is way better than mine.

I'm new to the DTV DX'ing world and I'm trying to put things in order so I can build a more effective antenna, hopefully soon. Do you have an opinion on a good balun for a 4/8-bay bowtie type antenna? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DXseekerMO View Post
                ...Do you have an opinion on a good balun for a 4/8-bay bowtie type antenna?
                Measured loss on some baluns, the more recent Channel Master balun has fairly low loss on UHF, not so good on VHF.

The one with the eye terminals.

http://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Ante...p/cm-94444.htm

Never encountered a balun that had fairly low loss for both VHF and UHF.

The older Channel Master baluns (also 94444 or 0089) without eye terminals, seemed to offer a fair compromise between VHF and UHF loss.

Your Jerrold balun is an indoor version, if installed outside would probably require protection from weather.

Comment

Originally posted by tripelo View Post
                  Measured loss on some baluns, the more recent Channel Master balun has fairly low loss on UHF, not so good on VHF.

The one with the eye terminals.

http://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Ante...p/cm-94444.htm

Never encountered a balun that had fairly low loss for both VHF and UHF.

The older Channel Master baluns (also 94444 or 0089) without eye terminals, seemed to offer a fair compromise between VHF and UHF loss.

Your Jerrold balun is an indoor version, if installed outside would probably require protection from weather.
                  That explains my signal loss over time. Dad thought these were either indoor or outdoor but on the twin lead end you can see right in there. I thought about and shoulda wrapped it in electrical tape. Not perfect but better than wide open.

I'll check those baluns out.

Thanks for the great info.....the knowledge helped answer some of my concerns!

Comment

The CM balun, that was shown above, is a good example of an Outdoor type. It was included with their big antennas (even their 5094a Moni-tenna). That was a Great scanner antenna....

Gary H.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Working...
                    X