X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuban Market DTMB-T Tuners

All,

The prospect of obtaining a Cuban DTT STB gets better each year.

I have found several DTMB-T STB's for the Cuban market on wholesale market websites
    and sent multiple requests to Chinese manufactures in various electronic markets.

The STB could be purchased wholesale on average for $35 per unit. The setback is the
    supplier requires a minimum order of 500 units or more, which would be $17,500 on up.

One automobile vendor replied indicated they have a model that matched my specifications.
    This vendor has a lower minimum order rate.

The sales contact person will get back to me at a later date with unit pricing, shipping, taxes,
    import fees, customs fees, port fees, ect.

In the meantime, how many members of the WTFDA would like to have a DTMB-T tuner?

As for the total price, I would suspect > $70.

If you are interested on obtaining a unit(s), send a reply under this thread.

Happy DX

Cuba TDT DTMB Assignments

IF you are close enough to Cuba for tropo and might be contemplating a DTMB tuner/set top box but not really sure what is available on the Cuban dial for DTV television to make it worth having one of those STB's, I put together an easy reference PDF of the TDT assignments in Cuba. The maps in the PDF are courtesy Radiocuba.
    Attached Files
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
    Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
    Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

The prospect is now over! The five year wait for a Cuban market DTMB-T mobile receiver has finally
      arrived and is being displayed on my desk.

I might be the only individual in the U.S. to have such a unit. Here are two images what it looks like.

1. dtmb_a1.jpg
      2. dtmb_a2.jpg

Comment

Are you going to sell these things? Because your having one there in PA makes as much sense as me having one here in CT, unless you plan to go down south to dx and take it with you.
        Mike B.
        Enfield, CT
        -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
        FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
        mikesdx.com

Comment

I think you, me, and Chris Dunne should have a BBQ in the Keys. I got the coleslaw and Pepsi.

Comment

I have no plans to sell this unit.

However, if anyone would like to have one, I can order it.

This is a mobile accessory unit and not a home STB. Includes a mobile windshield dipole terminated with an SMA male plug.

The average distance to Cuba is 1,300+ miles from here. It might be possible to detect a signal from there via tropospheric
            propagation.

The advantage, all open and clean DTMB channels with no interference from ATSC stations all the way down along the U.S.
            Atlantic coast.

Comment

I'm guessing this has the typical feature set of a digital tuner, utterly hostile to DXing. I wouldn't count on a PA -> Cuba tropo logging. Chris Lucas had long enough odds getting WSFL on a Insignia/Zenith tuner. And Cuba is still using the same UHF channels as the US as far as I know, so any signal from there will face an obstacle course on its way to you.

You didn't deal with the Cuban gov't at all to get that tuner? I'm interested but still paranoid about breaking laws. If only Chinese firms are involved I don't see a problem ordering one.

Comment

Originally posted by egrabow View Post
                I think you, me, and Chris Dunne should have a BBQ in the Keys. I got the coleslaw and Pepsi.
                Ya know, that sounds really good. It would take my mind off my bad cold and my wife's bronchitis :-)
                Mike B.
                Enfield, CT
                -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
                FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
                mikesdx.com

Comment

To relieve everyone's mind about the DTMB-T tuner. No, I did not obtain it through the Cuban government. It came
                  directly from the mainland China factory.

The sales person indicated that they will soon have a new model rolling off their assembly line.

It is legal to own one, even thou there is no service in the U.S., the device is a TV receiver, thus not requiring any
                  license, permits.

Comment

Just wanted to say, that up to now, April 2, 2017 was the last strong tropo day to Cuba from the Keys, to where a possible DTMB signal would make it, IMHO. On that date Canal Habana was pretty good, and it's the weakest of the six NTSC OTA networks. Too bad I couldn't record more of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GClk0xmhI4k

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a1f6_TjtZLE

cd

Comment

Mike in PA - IF you look at Hepburn's tropo forecast for 1200 UTC Wednesday February 21, you will see something very interesting along the Atlantic coast. IF it holds up you might almost have a hookup to Cuba ??? But looks like you need to be right on the coast. Looks like you need to be in DE or NJ, maybe you should go to Rick Shaftan's house??
                      Jim Thomas
                      Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
                      Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
                      Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Everyone along the southern Atlantic coast, Caribbean, western Gulf of Mexico needs to be aware of William Hepburn's
                        Tropospheric Ducting Forecast mentioned above by Jim Thomas.

1. HTI_ena.jpg
                        2. HTI_gc.jpg

Source: http://dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Comment

I got a water path to Cuba. I need one of these things!

You all ought to rent up the Cape Hatteras Motel for a few days and check out the OBX DX.

Comment

Can this thing be hooked up to an autologger?

Comment

No, this mobile tuner does not have a RJ-45 jack for auto-logger use.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Working...
                              X