Cuban Market DTMB-T Tuners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm interested in obtaining a DTMB unit to install at my remote site in Jamaica. The big question is - is the unit set for the Chinese "C" channels or is there any way to change that to the American "A" channels that Cuba uses?

Comment

The unit covers both automatic and manual tuning on the UHF channels 21 to 69 (474 - 858 MHz) using eight MHZ bandwidth.

I doubt very much that Cuba is using American digital ATSC pilot carriers (xxx.310 MHz). They don't want American co-channel
      interference.

The Cuban government is tight lipped about their DTMB-T frequency channels.

Comment

Mike - so its not possible to determine the frequencies for each channel number from your DTMB box?
        Jim Thomas
        Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
        Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
        Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Originally posted by GACTVDX View Post
          The unit covers both automatic and manual tuning on the UHF channels 21 to 69 (474 - 858 MHz) using eight MHZ bandwidth.

I doubt very much that Cuba is using American digital ATSC pilot carriers (xxx.310 MHz). They don't want American co-channel
          interference.

The Cuban government is tight lipped about their DTMB-T frequency channels.
          Cuba published a list of their DTV bandplan channels and it was "printed" in an issue of the VUD a few years back.

To harmonize DTV channels, Cuba will be using a 6 MHz bandwidth variation of the DTMB technology used in (8 MHz) China, making Cuban DTV truly unique.
          Cuba will use UHF and Highband VHF (but no lowband VHF).

The converter box you describe is for the China market and I suspect it would be useless for Cuban DTMB.
          Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Comment

Jim,

Channel 21 is on 474.0 MHz.

Comment

interference.
              The ATSC pilot carriers are inherent to the American 8VSB modulation system. It is difficult to find conclusive information but I'm pretty confident no other modulation system (and thus, no other DTV system) has fixed-frequency pilot carriers.

(this means ATSC 3.0 won't have pilots either)
              Doug Smith W9WI
              Pleasant View, TN EM66
              http://www.w9wi.com

Comment

All,

The prospect of obtaining a Cuban DTT STB gets better each year.

I have found several DTMB-T STB's for the Cuban market on wholesale market websites
                and sent multiple requests to Chinese manufactures in various electronic markets.

The STB could be purchased wholesale on average for $35 per unit. The setback is the
                supplier requires a minimum order of 500 units or more, which would be $17,500 on up.

One automobile vendor replied indicated they have a model that matched my specifications.
                This vendor has a lower minimum order rate.

The sales contact person will get back to me at a later date with unit pricing, shipping, taxes,
                import fees, customs fees, port fees, ect.

In the meantime, how many members of the WTFDA would like to have a DTMB-T tuner?

As for the total price, I would suspect > $70.

If you are interested on obtaining a unit(s), send a reply under this thread.

Happy DX
                I occasionally do a search for DTMB tuners, but there's too little information for me to select a DTMB tuner. I'm over 800 miles from Cuba so the chances of reception are small, but I have decoded Miami at 650 miles, so its possible. I need a tuner that will scan the channels 24-7. Is such a tuner available? I might consider a tuner that will do a manual on demand scan.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Working...
                X