Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with RDS Logger plugin used with AirSpy

I've been using AirSpy for a month now for analogue TV DXing, for seeing the Pilot carrier for DTV DXing, and for an creating an FM band scan. I'd like to use it for automated FM DXing.
    Last night I downloaded the RDS Logging plug in which automates scanning and logging of FM stations. It appears to be working OK but the data is not getting to Microsoft Excel which I paid $99 for last night. I haven't figured out how to get the external data from SRR# to Excel. Can anyone help me?

Doug Allen
    Inman, SC EM85wb

Doug,

Finally think I might be able to "pay back" some of the considerable help that I've been offered since I started FM DXing. First of all, a few questions, and recommendations:

1.) Make sure that you've downloaded the latest version of the #SDRSharp software. Which is currently Rev. 1671

https://airspy.com/download/

2.) Then install the latest version of RDS Data Logger Plug In, which is version Beta Version 18. In order to install a plug-in for #SDRSharp software, you have to use a text editor to edit one line of code per plug-in. It sounds worse than it is. But let me know if you need help with that too:

http://www.apritch.co.uk/sdrsharp_plugins.htm

Once you have installed everything, and edited the text file. You should have a sub-folder inside your #SDRSharp folder labeled:

RDSDATALOGGER

3.) Now you just have to set up the Plug-In correctly:

Under Basic Settings:

Change channel spacing to 200 Khz
    Put a checkmark in "Log" and "Skip Locals"

Under advanced settings:

Change Sweet Time to 7 Seconds
    Audto Reset RDS Time to 120

Scan from 88100000 and 107900000

Click on "Apply Settings."

Then click on "Start Scan" The SDR should begin to automatically change frequency every 7 seconds and log any RDS signals it receives. Wait about ten minutes, stop the scan and check. If things worked, you should now have a file inside the "RDSDATALOGGER" file marked something like:

RDSDataLogger-2018-08-20.csv

This file should open fine in Excel.

While RDS Data Logger is great--it's not very sensitive. To really make this work as an Auto Logger, you need to download another plug-in that allows the AirSpy to output it's MPX signal. This can then be fed to "RDS Spy" software to log RDS signals. It's much more sensitive. RDS Data Logger basically just controls the tuning (acting as a scanner) but RDS Spy handles decoding and logging. This is the method that most European FM DX'ers use to great effect.

Fire away with any questions, Doug. Happy to help.

Comment

I want to thank Les for the help he's given me this past week. I'm using my AirSpy with SDR#, communicating with SDR Data Logger to scan and log FM stations. It's working! RDS Spy software is a better PI decoder, used by Les and a lot of Europeans. I can not use it with my laptop setup because it requires a 192 kHz sample rate. I will be changing from a laptop to a desktop (with the required 192 kHz sampling rate) for SDR# and SDR Data Logger, and with Les's help will get them to communicate with RDS Spyware and create RDS Spy loggiing using the automated scanning of SDR Data Logger.
      Doug Inman, SC EM85wb

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
      Working...
      X