Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combining two UHF antennas into one lead?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining two UHF antennas into one lead?

Ok, that question in my mind appears redundant, because until recently, I was able to do such with acceptable results.

I live half way between Denver, CO and Cheyenne, WY. I have a CM 4228 (8 bay) mounted at 25', facing to the southwest (Lookout Mtn. west of Denver). About 7' below that antenna, I have a CM 4221 (4 bay) facing to the north, to Cheyenne.

Up until about a week ago, I was able to have the two antennas combined and receive the Denver DTV stations (ranging from 50-95% signal, depending on the station - about 45 miles to the south) and the Cheyenne DTV stations (channels 5 <RF 30> and 27 <RF 27> - about 45 miles north). Suddenly in the last week something has changed. I can no longer receive Cheyenne 5 <RF 30>, because the antennas are now interacting in a way that 5 is being 'cancelled' out. ?? If I disconnect the CM 4228 antenna to Denver, channel 5 pops in at about 85%. When I reconnect the 4228, channel 5's signal drops to 0 and will occassionally bounce to 30-40% with no decode.

The only thing I can imagine is that channel 27 flash cut to digital on February 17th and went full power. I have no trouble getting them at about 80%. For any really techie people reading this, is there a chance that now that they are on full power as a DTV, they could be causing the 'cancellation' of the RF 30 signal? It seems crazy to me because I haven't changed anything in my setup. I received an email this morning from the engineers at channel 5, saying nothing has been changed with their signal, which has been at full power for over a year.

Looking for any suggestions.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
    Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
    Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Jim,

I can't tell you, whats going on, on your ch. 5, but I can tell an excellent way to combine antennas. I use a Ch. Master #0578 jointer. This is go for ALL chs., (2-69). Very little loss. I'm had very good results with it. I order mine, from Warren Electronics. You can check their website and if you don't see it, call them. They do stock them.
    Hope you received my emails, from yesterday, as one of them, had an Atth. with the spec. sheet about this item...
    Good luck. Let me know, how it turns out.

Gary Hickerson
    Arkoma, Okla.
    Last edited by Gary Hickerson; 03-07-2009, 09:57 PM. Reason: Wrong part number

Comment

Ad info.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim,

I can't tell you, whats going on, on your ch. 5, but I can tell an excellent way to combine antennas. I use a Ch. Master #0538 joiner. This is good for ALL chs., (2-69). Very little loss. I'm had very good results with it. I order mine, from Warren Electronics. You can check their website and if you don't see it, call them. They do stock them.
      Hope you received my emails, from yesterday, as one of them, had an Atth. with the spec. sheet about this item...
      I just found a receipt, for my CM #0538. It was a bit pricey at $23.76. Also, I found that Winegard, has the same thing # CC7870, for $14.36...
      Good luck. hope that works out.

Gary Hickerson
      Arkoma, Okla.
      Last edited by Gary Hickerson; 03-07-2009, 09:56 PM. Reason: Add Info.

Comment

If the signal is getting phased out, try turning one or the other antennas to find another happy spot where you can get your station back in. That will change the phasing. Why did this happen? No clue.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
        Working...
        X