Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adjusting tv's squelch

years ago i cracked open a vcr and turnd down the squealch i guess ya would call it...to loose the blue screen and see static...this majorly helpd me on weak stations...my question is has anyone tryd this lately on there tv...im debateing on cracking the case on my rca analog/digital tv to do the same...for the analog side...

[QUOTE=k.r.;13311]
    years ago i cracked open a vcr and turnd down the squealch i guess ya would call it...to loose the blue screen and see static...this majorly helpd me on weak stations
    Not sure I understand the roll your VCR played in bringing in ANY stations

im debateing on cracking the case on my rca analog/digital tv to do the same...for the analog side
    Sorry.. I dont get that at all. You never said what kind of DX equipment you use other than a VCR and a TV. How do you scan?
    Last edited by mp11; 06-11-2010, 12:17 PM.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

Comment

the vcr had a built in analog tuner...that is what i used to scan analog dx with....my question was if anyone has successfully tweaked the gain controlls of a newer tv along with opening the squealch to loose the blue screen on a empty or weak analog freq to view the snow instead of the blue screen..to aid in reception of weaker stations or atleast see the snow change..thinking of trying this on my rca analog/digital tv
      mod #27v414t...

Comment

anybody??

Comment

k.r...

The best I can tell you is... open it up and have a look.

Some manufacturers put labels, on their printed circuit boards, next to the various adjustable controls, so you know what each control does. You might find what you're looking for.

73, Ed NN2E
          Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
          "You Might Be a Redneck If...
          Your TV is on 24/7.
          Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
          The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
          Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
          Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
          Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
          Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
          Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
          Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

See if a schematic or a service manual is available. But be careful of the voltages that are contained in a TV set.

Comment

i have a service manual...but its in spanish....i was thinking of pop'n the case this weekend...this is my first digital tv ill be tinkering with and didnt know if these days /w the micro circuitry n crap if it would be loaded or still had real parts...anything could be mod'ed n tweaked i know i just refuse to play with the micro circuitry..im kinda shakey /w the soldering iron..oh and i know all about the voltages and safe handeling n dischargeing...

Comment

I'm guessing here, it is probably a muting circuit with a variable resistor for the threshold. If that is the case, a simple plastic tuning tool should be able to lower the threshold and it might take care of the problem. Or by jumping the variable resistor with a piece of wire so there is no threshold. A variable resistor is easy to identify. But make sure you have the right circuit.

Or it might be more complicated where the threshold is fixed with some fixed resistors and you have to bypass the muting circuit with a jumper or solder. This might be difficult to identify the circuit.

Worse would be the IC circuitry is all self contained and nearly impossible to isolate and modify.

Despite the service manual being in Spanish ...you might be able to identify the various circuitry. You can try "Babelfish" to possibly get English translations of the components.

I highly doubt the name of the circuit would be called squelch. I think more like , "mute", "muting", "threshold" or "blue screen". It might be less hassle to use a older TV set that doesn't have the muting 'feature'. You could probably pick up a good used analog TV at the pawn shop or Goodwill for $25 or less.

I recall years ago some TV and VCR manufacturers had options where one could select mute on/off from the menu.

Good Luck..
                Last edited by ; 06-16-2010, 07:59 PM.

Comment

i dont really have room for another tv..and i used to do it with the older stuff im just nervous bout whats inside a analog/digital set..this el be my first....

Comment

Eight years later, I'm wondering the same thing. If you're still here, did you ever have any luck?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Working...
                    X