Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD for DX, Can you do manual tuning?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD for DX, Can you do manual tuning?

Looking at getting into DX and was curious if the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD can manually scan? Is the tuner adequate for DX? Is there a better PC based option or should I go with an old Zenith/Insignia box?

The only Hauppauge TV card I know of that did tune manually was the old TV-D. The newer ones rely on channel scans, which is not ideal at all. I'd go with either a Zenith or Insignia box (which are the same things).
    Last edited by Mike-CT; 01-08-2020, 09:04 PM.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Comment

Don't expect a long life from these boxes, KC0TFI. I'm on my sixth Zenith box since 2008, and they have all crapped out after having them for between two and three years. After much use, they start to crash after turning on (from standby mode), so you'll need to hit the power button twice or even unplug and then plug it back in to fix the problem. Eventually, the unplugging and plugging back in stops working. Hopefully, ATSC 3.0 will be rolled out before any Zenith/Insignia box you get starts to go on the fritz.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. After some more reading I am going to go the HDHomerun/Ascan route. I've contacted Mike on Facebook about getting a copy of ascan, now to decide which HDHomerun to get.

I would still like to have an USB tuner for when traveling though...

Comment

I use it and it's great. No Manual tuning but may be you can prep-program channels in the "scan" memory and tune from there. This is a WinTV software problem, not a tuner problem.

Comment

Originally posted by w1bsm View Post
            Don't expect a long life from these boxes, KC0TFI. I'm on my sixth Zenith box since 2008, and they have all crapped out after having them for between two and three years.
            Well, I've been using these since the digital conversion and I've only had one go bad. It wouldn't turn on. I took it apart and found an oily substance on the board. I have a Zenith and another spare Insignia box. I'm easy on the boxes. I don't leave them on all day every day (and I'm not implying that you do). Maybe that's why.
            Mike B.
            Enfield, CT
            -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
            FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
            mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Comment

I didn't leave them on all day, but I used them daily. The TV I use them with is in my bedroom. So I not only dxed with them, I also did a lot of TV watching using those boxes, too. Let's just say they were all heavily used.

Comment

Originally posted by KC0TFI View Post
                Thanks for the responses. After some more reading I am going to go the HDHomerun/Ascan route. I've contacted Mike on Facebook about getting a copy of ascan, now to decide which HDHomerun to get.

I would still like to have an USB tuner for when traveling though...
                Hauppauge 955Q works great for mobile use with a laptop and portable antenna. I have the older model (955) which works great.

https://hauppauge.com/pages/products...sb_tuners.html
                Jim Thomas
                Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
                Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
                Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Working...
                X