Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Icom IC-705 is usable for FM Dxing

The Icom IC-705 is usable for FM Dxing. The selectivity is on par to my Grundig G3 portable. While the WFM (Wide FM) can be changed to FM or AM, you wouldn't really be able to hear much of anything because it's just too narrow so leave it on WFM.

In comparison to other ham radios, the Yaesu FT-897 is awful on the FM broadcast band.

And if you're wondering, the IC-705 is no Onkyo T-9090 or MR-78.

But it's about on par as my unmodified Grundig G3 that I've been using for many years. And added plus with the IC-705 is that you can use the fine tuning to really tune way from the strong locals. Much finer than I ever could with the G3.

I'm using a 144/440 PVC Hamfest j-pole antenna and was able to receive G-101.3 Indiana right next to my local 101.1.
    I was able to get 99.7 WDJX from Louisville between 99.5 and 99.9.
    I was able to get The River 106.1 from Central Indiana right next to locals 105.9 and 106.3

Your results may vary. But give it a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Are the locals broadcasting in "HD" (IBOC aka i-block)? If you can get a weak station between two IBOC locals, that's impressive.
    Last edited by antennanut; 02-01-2021, 09:35 PM. Reason: Adding question mark

Comment

Originally posted by antennanut View Post
      Are the locals broadcasting in "HD" (IBOC aka i-block)? If you can get a weak station between two IBOC locals, that's impressive.
      I don't think so because this is on par with the Grundig G3. To combat IBOC locals, I imagine one would need a better receiver and a FM antenna.

This is like if your out on the back deck or camping with your 705 and there is an E-Skip opening or strong tropo, you should be able to use the 705 for some FM DXing in that fashion.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
      Working...
      X