X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange FM Yagi Antenna

Hi,
    I just bought this new outdoor FM antenna for $20, but I find it strange that the main element, the folded dipole, is lying down instead of up, like any other antenna. Is this because of the antenna's output is 75 ohms instead of 300 ohms? And does this configuration have any advantages or disadvantages?
    It is 30 feet from the ground fixed at a balcony.
    Thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Welcome.

I have been to your lovely city.

I bought an antenna quite similar to yours off eBay for under $20 about 4 years ago, but when I look today they are running over $70. They shouldn’t, really!

My main FM antenna is the discontinued Antennacraft FM6; but I take the antenna that looks like yours for trips. Nice, lightweight, easy to set up/take down, and it fits in my Kia Soul.

Although I cannot speak for yours, I enjoy mine a lot.

Email me for more, cd050659 (at) gmail (dot) com

✝️ c d

Comment

That is strange. Almost like the dipole is vertically polarized and the other 3 elements are horizontally polarized. I've never seen that combination before. All I can think of is that it is made that way to fit into a flatter box for shipment. Just a thought, anyway. Welcome to the forums, by the way.
      Mike B.
      Enfield, CT
      -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
      FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
      mikesdx.com

Comment

The main folded dipole (Driven Element) is laid down horizontal on the boom is to have a stronger physical attachment, especially during winter season with snow and ice storms. It has nothing to due with the 75/300 impedance. Have fun with it.

Comment

This was a fairly popular design, although older antennas usually had more than 3 elements. (I see Stellar Labs still makes a 4-element version - which costs more than twice as much!)

Mike, I think what appear to be vertically-polarized elements are actually other nearby antennas. Here's a webpage selling this antenna: https://addison-electronique.com/en/...na/fm-antenna/

I'm not sure what's meant by "lying down instead of up"?
          Doug Smith W9WI
          Pleasant View, TN EM66
          http://www.w9wi.com

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Working...
          X