Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any new ATSC 3.0 TV tuner/converter boxes available yet ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any new ATSC 3.0 TV tuner/converter boxes available yet ?

With ATSC 3.0 making its appearance gradually nationwide are there any tuner/converter boxes that will receive ATSC 3.0 and can be hooked up, via inputs to an ATSC 1.0 receiver ? I know there are new TV's with both ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 in it, but any tuner/converter boxes for older DTV's ?

Al

I haven’t a clue as to how this is supposed to work (if it can, at all) with an analog TV; nor do I feel like pumping money for this, but this is the only box I know:

https://zapperbox.com/

Patience is a virtue!

cd

Comment

cd,

I been seeing these, what I look at as "high priced" boxes too. I guess I am hoping for the type boxes ( costwise ) that were available when we went analog to digital around 2008/9. I don't recall them costing much. I understand that an entire new TV that is both ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 are now available under or close too $1000 from LG, Samsung & Sony.
      Hopefully soon, lower price boxes will be available for a person that wants to "check it out" , maybe not picture wise but seeing with is there on the ATSC 1.0 TV they now have , and eventually will see lower price ATSC 1.0 / 3.0 TV's too.

Al

Comment

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything more reasonable than the HDHomeRun.

I think it's going to take awhile for box prices to drop.

Chip production is still limited because of the pandemic -- I'm thinking that's going to continue to affect things until late next year.

That, and even once production volume is no longer limited, *sales* volume won't be what it was with the D=>A boxes. At this point in the analog to digital conversion, it was not yet imminently *necessary* to buy a converter box to watch OTA TV. And the STBs were in the $200-$300 vicinity. (I remember being happily surprised to get my hands on a box for $99 at Wal-Mart. I'm pretty sure it was being subsidized by that outfit out of Salt Lake City that was trying to launch a competitor to cable TV using scrambled ATSC 1.0 signals.)

Until you *have* to have an ATSC 3.0 box to watch OTA TV, I don't think we're going to see boxes reach the kind of $50-ish level the D=>A boxes were selling for.

Doug Smith W9WI
        Pleasant View, TN EM66
        http://www.w9wi.com

Comment

Doug,
          You are correct on the A to D boxes verses what is going on now. I remember when I got my INSIGNIA box for A to D , it was "cheap' costwise " and worked GREAT, I still have it and use it !
          As I said - I wonder if there will ever be an "inexpensive" ATSC 1.0 to ATSC 3.0 box . . . if it is cheap enough I might get one. Like I said TV prices are coming down that get both ATSC 1.0 & ATSC 3.0, so that might be the way to go.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by alok View Post
            Doug,
            You are correct on the A to D boxes verses what is going on now. I remember when I got my INSIGNIA box for A to D , it was "cheap' costwise " and worked GREAT, I still have it and use it !
            As I said - I wonder if there will ever be an "inexpensive" ATSC 1.0 to ATSC 3.0 box . . . if it is cheap enough I might get one. Like I said TV prices are coming down that get both ATSC 1.0 & ATSC 3.0, so that might be the way to go.

Al
            While looking for something else I stumbled across a Sony TV that's very reasonably priced and claims to support ATSC 3.0:
            https://www.amazon.com/Sony-X80J-Inc...NrPXRydWU&th=1

(50", $600)

My boss bought two Sony ATSC 3.0 receivers when our station joined the Nashville 3.0 project. They didn't support 3.0 out of the box -- you had to do a firmware upgrade first. I would hope if you buy a new set today it'll already have the current firmware.
            Doug Smith W9WI
            Pleasant View, TN EM66
            http://www.w9wi.com

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
            Working...
            X