X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WX Band Antenna

Hello all,

I've been thinking about getting or possibly building an antenna for receiving stations on the 162 MHz weather band. I just had a couple questions I was hoping to get answered.

I assume a vertically polarized antenna would be better due to the 20 dB loss from polarization mismatch? However, if that's the case, I've heard vertically polarized antennas aren't nearly as directional as those that are horizontally polarized. What would be the best in terms of directionality while not missing signals because of polarization mismatch?

I've also been looking around to see what's available to buy but haven't been able to find anything for 162 MHz. If I need to make my own antenna, what would be involved? I'm pretty much a total newbie when it comes to antenna design. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Josh Moore - KG5JEL
    Mountain Home, Arkansas (EM36ui)
    Receivers:
    AirSpy-R2 (primary)
    Tecsun PL-880 (secondary and travel radio)
    Antenna:
    Innovantennas 17 element beam at 30 feet

I got the Discone way back in 2004, it worked great, even used it on 6 meters to transmitt with just 8 watts SSB. Comet ( I think Comet still makes it ) makes one & MFJ too, the Comet cost more. I had the Comet. The Comet I had received 25-1300 Mhz and transmits 6 / 2 meters and 220 / 440. MFJ does the same.
    I no longer have it because when I moved I did not take it with me, by then it was14 years old and still wotked great.
    Al

Comment

I've used VHF TV antennas and they work fine. I get 162mhz weather stations out to 70 miles 24/7. You could also cut a vertical dipole for 162mhz and put that outside for omnidirectional use.
      Mike B.
      Enfield, CT
      -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
      FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
      mikesdx.com

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, guys. If I get something for NWR, I'll probably go with something directional.

I've also been considering the four element AIS antenna from Innovantennas. It's a bit pricey, but I'm very happy with the FM antenna I got from them.
        Josh Moore - KG5JEL
        Receivers:
        AirSpy-R2 (primary)
        Antenna:

Comment

Directionality is less a function of polarization than of the type of antenna. A yagi can be mounted either for vertical or horizontal polarization, and in both cases it will be directional. A vertical will generally not be directional although it is vertically polarized. I've used a small vertical and also my 9-el FM yagi and neither gives me the signal reception quality that my ham HT with weather band using a small antenna attached does.
          Russ Edmunds
          15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
          WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
          Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
          Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
          all w APS9B @ 15'
          Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

So if I'm understanding correctly, I should get good results with a vertically polarized yagi cut for the WX band?

I'm seriously considering the four element AIS antenna from Innovantennas, which can be found at https://www.innovantennas.com/en/sho...as%20shop.html. I'd love to hear any opinions you guys have, and if you know of anything that has the same or more gain for a cheaper price, feel free to send it my way.
            Josh Moore - KG5JEL
            Receivers:
            AirSpy-R2 (primary)
            Antenna:

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
            Working...
            X