Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTSU 89.9 - but by what mode?

I definitely heard WTSU 89.9 this morning, as the attached
    file shows. Only question is what mode of propagation?
    If it's trops it was ~800 miles. The real-time VHF
    propagation map suggests this was possible. I'm more
    skeptical-the signal was almost TOO strong in my opinion.
    What do you think?

Matt

Wtsu...

I don't think there is such a thing as 'too strong for tropo'. I've heard some extremely intense tropo where the distant signals are local-like. I've experienced it here, as well as from Maine and in Georgia. These are rare, but they do happen. 800 miles is on the long side, but that's happened before as well.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    all w APS9B @ 15'
    Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

It's WTSU via tropo.....

Listen to the audio "waves" Matt. You can definitely tell its got the tropo fade-up "waves". As to Russ's comment, i've never had tropo that sounded too clear. I've had some tropo signals that sounded like locals.
      Jim Thomas
      Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
      Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
      Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Nice catch!
        Sporadic E wasn't in place at the time so you can pretty much rule that out.
        After last night's tropo continuation I'd place my bet on that mode.
        Tropo is ending just north of me. Joe in Michigan logged 97.3 WNCB in Tuskaloosa, AL last night and there was plenty of FM and UHF TV from northern Alabama > IL,WI,IN
        Randy KW4RZ Goldfield, Nevada DM17

Comment

Working...
        X