Analog 4: Uff da!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog 4: Uff da!!

Earlier this week, I caught something on analog ch 4, which bewildered me a bit.

First I wanna say that I strongly suspect my unID as Costa Rica---but that is just to get that outta the way.

I took a snapshot that evening of the English print at the end of the ad. See photo. It followed a wireless ad, which had English, but Spanish was talked over it.

The 60-second ad was for VG, "Norway's Favourite Newspaper" (that is the actual small print on the bottom of the screen). It turned out to be a risqué ad with 2 teenagers + Donny Osmond's "Puppy Love" playing during the thing. (I will not link to YouTube!! I wonder if Donny knows about this ad.)

Anyway, to be honest, the Repretel site in Costa Rica keeps spitting out spam at me, so asking them is outta the question. The one to actually write is VG ( vg.no ).

Seeing English print, my first thought was Jamaica---but it couldn't be. Photo below.

cd
    Attached Files

Very interesting, Christopher.
    Danny
    Shreveport, LA
    Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
    Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
    TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
    My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
    More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by cd637299 View Post
      Earlier this week, I caught something on analog ch 4, which bewildered me a bit.

First I wanna say that I strongly suspect my unID as Costa Rica---but that is just to get that outta the way.

I took a snapshot that evening of the English print at the end of the ad. See photo. It followed a wireless ad, which had English, but Spanish was talked over it.

The 60-second ad was for VG, "Norway's Favourite Newspaper" (that is the actual small print on the bottom of the screen). It turned out to be a risqué ad with 2 teenagers + Donny Osmond's "Puppy Love" playing during the thing. (I will not link to YouTube!! I wonder if Donny knows about this ad.)

Anyway, to be honest, the Repretel site in Costa Rica keeps spitting out spam at me, so asking them is outta the question. The one to actually write is VG ( vg.no ).

Seeing English print, my first thought was Jamaica---but it couldn't be. Photo below.

cd
      Was anything else received during a few hours of this that could provide a clue?

Comment

^ Just prior to it was a wireless ad in English with Spanish talk right over it.

I am thinking Costa Rica, due to the video being kinda "airbrushed" or soft/hazy like I have seen.

I did write VG, but no reply. (If the ad is in English, I am sure they understood what I wrote!)

Repretel does live streaming. If they didn't keep sending spam when I go there, I would check. I guess I will try again.

cd

Comment

I think I'm close to an answer on this.

I played back my tape. Just prior to this was an ad for Cellular One, whose name AFAIK has gone the way of Cingular. I apparently stopped the tape and resumed later (here is where I am not sure if it was the same channel as before), with a Coca-Cola ad, and on screen was "As it should be.". Wikipedia has that slogan as that for Coke in 2005, in Australia.

Right after that were the words "Spot Central." Gato TV website indeed lists Spot Central as a program on Canal 4 Costa Rica. Apparently, this is a show of funniest commercials from around the world.

Canal 4 unfortunately does NOT show a logo bug during programming at this time (and now as I write, I won't ever see it again as analog). Because of that, it was pretty tricky.

I am 99% sure it was CR 4. I cannot go to Repretel's site, as I get many, um, "warnings.". However, on YouTube the other day I saw the preparation of the "apagón" there, and one Repretel reporter's email address was on screen. I might write him and make an unlisted YT of this weirdness!!

cd

Comment

Costa Rica went with SBTVD-T (Sistema Brasileiro de Televisao Digital Terrestre).

Digital channel 4 (TIIVS) Repretel in San Jose is mapped on channel 06-02 on UHF (Super Band) RF channel 22.
            Digital channel 6 (TITV) Repretel in San Jose is mapped on channel 06-01 on UHF (Super Band) RF channel 22.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CostaRica_Televisiondigital_Convertbox_Ch4HD1.png
Views:	1
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	78844

https://www.facebook.com/TelecomCR/v...1093341815457/
            Last edited by GACTVDX; 08-18-2019, 08:49 AM. Reason: Video Link attached

Comment

So these TV stations are analog?

Comment

Originally posted by 882108MHz View Post
                So these TV stations are analog?
                Not anymore!! Costa Rica dropped analog TV in most of the country just last week (August 14, 2019, to be exact). This was, and is, my final TV DX from that country.

They are using UHF for digital TV, using a different standard than US/Canada/Mexico. That means that our modern TV's & converter boxes here will not work for their TV stations. I cannot catch UHF signals as E-skip, like you see above.

cd

Comment

Originally posted by cd637299 View Post
                  Not anymore!! Costa Rica dropped analog TV in most of the country just last week (August 14, 2019, to be exact). This was, and is, my final TV DX from that country.

They are using UHF for digital TV, using a different standard than US/Canada/Mexico. That means that our modern TV's & converter boxes here will not work for their TV stations. I cannot catch UHF signals as E-skip, like you see above.

cd
                  I've heard UHF DX is possible just much harder than VHF DX. I think there is a small chance you get lucky, never say never if it is theoretically possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Rrrrzzzz419 View Post
                    I've heard UHF DX is possible just much harder than VHF DX. I think there is a small chance you get lucky, never say never if it is theoretically possible.
                    As tropo, sure it's possible---but as E-skip, I don't think UHF TV has ever been reported that way.

I know there has been E-skip as high as RF ch 13, the highest VHF channel. I wanna say it was Glenn Hauser that accomplished that feat.

cd

Comment

Absolutely, UHF tropospheric DX is possible. Arguably, it's easier than VHF tropo, although that may be because of less crowding & interference on UHF. (and may change as a result of the repack)

The highest frequency on which E-skip has been reported is 222.1MHz. (by amateurs, who have a 222-225MHz band. TV RF channel 13 is 210-216MHz.) It's hard to say what the absolute limit is, since 225-400MHz is used for military aviation. They aren't inclined to DX and may be less inclined to report their DX
                      Doug Smith W9WI
                      Pleasant View, TN EM66
                      http://www.w9wi.com

Comment

Working...
                      X