7/28 Es unid's French, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/28 Es unid's French, etc

It appears that today had pretty hot E skip although I missed much of it while at work. I did catch 95.1 "Hot 95-1" KSYU Albuquerque, NM and 93.9 KZRD "The Buzzard" Dodge City, KS from the car set on a couple of quick checks in the parking lot. Nothing new.
    Es returned in the late afternoon to the north On the drive home about 4:50PM Central I recorded French on 91.5
    it was still in when I got home but faded shortly after.
    At 5:10PM I pulled out a CBC on 89.7. I suppose there are a number of possibilities for this one. There weren't many signals after that and it seemed FM was opened to Lake Superior. (few signals)
    The main question is what is this 94.3? Is it K94FM? Q94FM? if it is Q94FM (CHIQ) Winnipeg, Manitoba then it's 1446 miles and a first to Manitoba for me. The female DJ's name sounds like Candice Scott to me and there is no one by that name that I could find on their website. The music format matches though.
    The only other positive id on this opening was 93.9 KSWN McCook, NE at 7:02PM. My most commonly heard Es station to the northwest. Most only lasted a couple minutes at best with no id material.
    Randy KW4RZ Goldfield, Nevada DM17

Thursday E-Skip...

Randy,

I logged a couple of your locals...92.1 WFFY and 95.7 WGCX...here in Kewanee, IL at 4:41 p.m.

Chris Cervantez
    Mesquite, TX | EM12qt

Sony XDR-S10HDiP

Comment

Outstanding Chris!
      That was just before I left work. Argg. Es began to fade at that time but did note a rock station on 99.1 which was definitely Es and a few others that I never id'ed that faded minutes after. The 91.5 French stayed in for the 8 minute drive and by the time I got home and fired up the gear all I heard was spotty Canada for the next couple hours. I've never logged Illinois on FM from here other than the 95.1 on June 15 via Ms that was about 2 seconds of an ad that went "hurry into your northern Illinois" and faded.
      Thanks

Comment

I received an email back from CHIQ confirming what I heard was indeed their station in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The female DJ's name is "Tannis Scott"
        They were amazed that I heard them from 1446 miles away.
        So the 94.3 is good.

Comment

Well...I do hope that was Illinois. It could have been 95.1 WVLI or also it could have been 95.1 WIIL, which is licensed to Kenosha, WI, but it's right on the border so it covers both Wisconsin and Northern Illinois.

Originally posted by Randy KW4RZ Florida EM60
          I've never logged Illinois on FM from here other than the 95.1 on June 15 via Ms that was about 2 seconds of an ad that went "hurry into your northern Illinois" and faded.
          Thanks
          Chris Cervantez
          Mesquite, TX | EM12qt

Sony XDR-S10HDiP

Comment

89.7 CBM and 91.5 CHLM

Randy,

The 91.5 one is a pretty simple one for me I find. It took about 30 seconds to get a match on it...

I'm about 90% certain that the station you were hearing and posted was the 91,5 CHLM-FM out of Val d'Or. It's a 50,000 watt directional antenna broadcasting the Rouyn-Noranda SRC-1 signal in mono. There could always be a chance that a francophone station is not from Québec, but the accent is clearly Québécois and the man clearly mentions Québec. I can hear another French in the background briefly too I think? But not sure. You'd likely know better than me though. Unless that was a segment of a commercial I heard for those 7 or so seconds, the type of music sounds a lot like an Espace Musique format, which would be CBVX. Just a guess on that one.

Here are the 91,5's in PQ:

91,5 MHz CBGA-FM mono Rivière-au-Renard 40 W omni F SRC 1 (Matane)
            91,5 MHz CBVX-FM stéréo La Malbaie 960 W omni F ESPACE MUSIQUE (Québec)
            91,5 MHz CHLM-FM mono Val d'Or 50 000 W dir F SRC 1 (Rouyn-Noranda)

I'm going to doubt you would have received the 40 watt one, especially since your programming clearly sounds SRC-like (aka boring :rotfl: ) and that would be one hell of a catch... haha.

--- Your 89.7 CBC? I'm going to take a shot at Sherbrooke if your Es was still in the general region of Southwest Québec.

89,7 MHz CBM-FM stéréo Sherbrooke 25 000 W omni A CBC 2 (Montréal)

This, of course, being CBC, is an English-language station and actually has a pretty decently strong signal well into New Hampshire. It's also the only 89.7 in the province, with the exception of the dinky 2-watter at Aeroport Dorval.

-Chris
            [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, Great Lakes Coastal Radio, domestic Korean radio, and Chinese FM tropo and Es - find 12+ hours of audio at http://www.chriskadlec.com/ • Tuner: Grundig G8 portable • Location: Seoul, Korea and West Michigan • Home DX sites: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

Comment

Oops, I've not been paying attention to the forums lately, sorry Chris. Thanks for your research. Unfortunately there's too many possibilities for the 89.7 CBC. I also suspect CKGN in Kapuskasing, ON which is in the skip area and following the westward drift. But it's only 3kw. So it's not logged positive.
              Randy

Comment

Working...
              X