Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You'd think these unIDs would be slam-dunk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'd think these unIDs would be slam-dunk...

Here are unIDs you'd think would be easy to solve. Clear call letters, other clearly enunciated clues. And then, well, some cosmic force from the universe intervenes. Times EDT. Clips attached as MP3s.

92.7 Aug 7 at 1515. Okay, I take this one back a little. I'm not completely clear on the County. Sounds like Welton County or Woban County or something beginning with W. And it's a fair they're talking about. Meteor scatter.

96.9 June 21 at 1202. I'm certain this is Mississippi. Has to be. There's a WPMO 1580 ID as surely as my hair is turning grey from not being sure if this is WTCD Indianola (SuperTalk MS Radio network) or - in my opinion - some translator of WPMO. There are Facebook references to WPMO also being on 96.9 but I can't find anything conclusive. It's Es.

97.1 June 24 0039. Ms burst sounds like "WUNT Polaris Columbia" but nothing checks.

98.5 June 20 1320. Ms hit IDs as Regional Radio and I'm almost sure this will be WCKM in Lake George NY. There are other separate "Regional Radio" clusters such as the one that owns KJEL 103.7 in Lebanon MO. But this is the only one I can find with a 98.5. What throws me is that I think I hear "AM 1500" a second or two after "Regional Radio".

98.7 July 22 1758. Ms burst says Lite Rock 98-7. Almost sure this is WHOP in KY. But I want to rule out WNNS Springfield IL and ask if anyone knows of other similar slogans on 98.7.

99.1 August 31 0800. Always like a top-of-hour Ms hit. This one IDed as "WILE Cambridge Ohio, KSDB FM..." or it was a poorly-timed syndicated show announcement of new stations?

103.7 June 3 at 1337. Ms burst sounds like "Hunsing Radio."

104.7 Aug 6 at 0950. I definitely lose the West Virginia quiz this Ms burst alludes to. Maybe it's WVRC? The burst seems to point to a web site and seems like a station promo. Could it be 'What's Virginia Quiz'? What do you hear?

106.3 Aug 6 at 1630. The KQ ID is clear enough. That's WMFG Hibbing MN. But I hear "104.3 in a brief burst within this longer meteor stream. Who on 106.3 would include 104.3 in an ID. If I'm hearing that correctly and that's what's happening.

Any leads are appreciated, with thanks.

Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON
    Attached Files
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

92.7 - Wilkin County Fair, Minnesota. KBMW Breckenridge MN, Breckenridge is county seat. Wilkin County Fair was August 15-18, 2019.

96.9 - W245CR Pascagoula MS. In May 2016 WPMO acquired W279CG Santa Rosa Beach, FL and applied for a CP to move it to Pascagoula. Edit - My understanding is this translator was recently deleted, but was on the air earlier in the summer. Mike B. may post a follow up comment about this. I can't imagine this came from another station.
    https://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine...DNumber=651032

99.1 - Almost positive this is a syndicated show between songs and running the *courtesy* station list of who airs the show. AP Radio shows on both of the stations mentioned. Several stations are affiliated with AP Radio syndication.
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 09-07-2019, 11:18 AM.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
    Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
    Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

106.3 Is A Train Wreck!

106.3 - This clip opens with the simulcast of classic rocker KQDS Duluth on sister station WMFG Hibbing. In progress is the KQ Afternoon Trainwreck. The DJ opens this meteor scatter clip with, "And now back to the KQ Trainwreck, with Kevin and Tom". This clip leads off with The Cannonball Run soundtrack single, Lou Rawls' "Love Is In The Air"**, and then is quickly overtaken by Wiz Khalifa's 2015 track, "See You Again" featuring Charlie Puth, which is from the "Fast and Furious 7" soundtrack. While that song is in progress, the next fade-up brings us a female deejay voice-over with her saying "1 0 4 3", leading into the Ramones' 2018 single "I Wanna Be Sedated".

So what do we have here?
      1. WMFG//KQDS id
      2. An unID with a chr/rap song
      3. An unID of a 104.3 punk rock radio station on a 106.3 parallel/translator

Like Saul, I believe the female voice is really saying the frequency. And also like Saul, hmmm....a translator? Wondering out loud here, 'who on 104.3 would play a Ramones song aka punk rock format, and would also have a translator on 106.3?'

**Thanks to Kevin Key, co-host of the Afternoon Trainwreck, for identifying the intro song from the KQ liner.
      Last edited by Jim Thomas; 09-09-2019, 11:31 PM.
      Jim Thomas
      Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
      Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Thanks, Jim. This was meteor scatter, so almost certainly a stations 1000 to 2000 watts minimum, and my hunch is it will be a full-power station of even more wattage than that. I also *think* I hear "104.3" - and it appears you also think you do. That maybe makes two of us. Meteor scatter can really distort stations, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if 104.3 is distorted and what's really said is 106.3. The problem is, once I hear something, it's hard to get what I think I've heard out of my head - which is why I'm posting this clip, in part - for an objective listen. So it's interesting to hear what you hear.

That's one fun thing about DXing. I don't let go of the unIDs very easily. I've got many more I'm working on. Some I'll solve easily enough, like the language from two Ms bursts on 97.3 most certainly sounding Portuguese (for a station in MA). I've also got a few hot dates with web streams, on the day of the week and time of day I heard stuff, to see if announcers sound the same. The WTFDA used to have a column dedicated to unIDs (CCI, I think it was called).

I think I'm about ready to call WPMO 1580. There is an almost total dearth of info about the 96.9 translator. I suspect it is an on-and-off type thing. Good on you for finding what you did on it - did you know where to look instinctively? My hunch is it'll be 250 watts per the CP. I don't sit on 96.9 often because it's my most open channel so I've pretty well drained that pool of single-hop stuff, save for translators and stuff under 500 and over 1500 miles...
        Saul Chernos
        Burnt River ON

Comment

Edited from previous information posted here....

Its possibly W292DR Wrightstown WI, which is owned by Woodward Communications Inc., which also owns 104.3 WKZG Seymour WI, which goes by "KZ 1 0 4 3"
          https://fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.php...Number=1769855

>>>Edit 9-11-19, I received three separate emails from people at KZ104.3 and all of them said the 106.3 translator broadcasts an AM news-talk station.

I have also found out its possible this could be KZIO 104.3 "The Current", which is part of the Minnesota Public Radio network. The Ramones song is in their active playlist, as well as many other Ramones' songs. IF it is them, I haven't found a connection to 106.3 yet.

**Update edit - Wiz Khalifa's 2015 song, "See You Again" featuring Charlie Puth, was the song noted in the middle of the clip. WGER Saginaw MI "Mix 106.3" has that song in rotation on their playlist, so its possible that is the third station in this trifecta.
          Last edited by Jim Thomas; 09-11-2019, 03:33 PM. Reason: Corrections/uodates on information/clarifications
          Jim Thomas
          Springfield, MO EM37

Comment

I don't hear a man's voice but this is a tantalizing lead to explore. I do hear the woman who says 104.3 say "Turn it up" just before she says "104.3" and they sound one and the same. It may be able to be IDed on the basis of station personnel recognizing the voice.

I have only once had a translator via Ms, and it was 250 watts on a wide-open channel. It can happen. 250 watts can get out. But 106.3 here is a jumble. I was already dealing with my semi-local CBC French station in Peterborough ON partly nulled and another station in North Bay ON breathing down its neck. Good Ms will override somewhat weakened semis, but I'm gonna play this one conservatively and keep the book open but hold off on any quick judgements. <Addendum: Funny that after posting this I went back to a clip on 99.1 that is a burst saying "hosted by Kai Wright" ... which points to a 250w translator in Stevens Point WI as a possibility. I won't log it because it's hard to have 100% certainty - I will if I get a WPR ID or some other better proof. But funny that I just noted it...>

It helps to almost certainly know the area. In fact most Ms here happens to my nw, likely because a lot of paths are like that, and I also face a small lake in that direction.

WGER would make sense by TropoScatter - Saginaw happens a lot that way. TrS could have possibly crept in. I'll be happy with a bifecta, never mind a trifecta

Thanks for listening, Jim.

Saul
            Saul Chernos
            Burnt River ON

Comment

Saul... As for 98.7 Hopkinsville, KY... The best I can say is, maybe... Not really enough there to make a positive ID... WHOP is, more or less, a local... Not one I listen to a whole lot.

73, Ed NN2E
              Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
              "You Might Be a Redneck If...
              Your TV is on 24/7.
              Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
              The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
              Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
              Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
              Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
              Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
              Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
              Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Hey Saul, I edited my comments on that now that I listened to it some more. I'm leaning on the MPR station now because I've been listening to their *The Current* stream for at least a few hours now, which also runs on KZIO 104.3 Two Harbors. That programming sounds a lot like where the woman's voice is just *1 0 4 3*. I sent the director of programming at MPR's The Current an email to find out about how KZIO id's between songs and if there is a connection to 106.3. It's a try.
                Jim Thomas
                Springfield, MO EM37

Comment

The 106.3 Trainwreck is still a puzzle....

In an attempt to qualify or disqualify KZIO 104.3 as a candidate for the *1 0 4 3* voice-over, it sounds like its 50/50 if the voice is a KZIO liner, but the connection to 106.3 hasn't been established. In a reply to an email inquiry, I received this information....

Hello James,

What a fascinating email! I didn’t know any of this about meteor showers and FM signals so I appreciate the education. Others here may have more information for you. I’ll do my best with your questions…

Minnesota Public Radio does have a public radio station using KZIO 104.3. It airs adult album alternative music (AAA). The voice I hear sounds like what we would use for a recorded station ID; I don’t recognize it as a host’s voice.

KZIO 104.3 does not have a translator at 106.3. I checked our playlist for August 6 on 104.3 and we did not air any songs by the Ramones, or Wiz Khalifa, that day.

Hope this is a bit helpful; others here may have more insights.

Thanks for reaching out.

Cathy

Cathy Nevanen
                  Network Station Sales Manager
                  306 W Superior St #500
                  Duluth MN 55802
                  Jim Thomas
                  Springfield, MO EM37

Comment

Working...
                  X