106.9 Ms UNID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 106.9 Ms UNID

I'm torn between Tr and Ms on this one because of how it behaves, but figure I'll throw it up here anyway.

http://www.chriskadlec.com/temp/radio/Ms_1069.MP3

Frequency is 106.9 from Mackinaw City, Mich., 8/13 2:30pm.

Regular WOOD-FM persists until suddenly at 1:40 in the clip, Ms pings start up and a few stations appear. CHR comes in then IDs at 2:13 before fading out by 2:35 where WOOD returns as normal. Of course, I can't understand the ID. 106.9 Milwaukee is pretty usual here, so the presence of Ms makes it all more confusing than a simple ID.

A handful of Ms IDs were heard into the Dakotas and Manitoba that afternoon on the portable with some stations lasting 30-60 seconds in near-solid with IDs and ads. This was a full FM bandscan; the Ms pings were just pinging all over the place in the few days before this as I scanned the dial, which I just worked around as I don't do Ms unless it finds me instead.
    [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, Great Lakes Coastal Radio, domestic Korean radio, and Chinese FM tropo and Es - find 12+ hours of audio at http://www.chriskadlec.com/ • Tuner: Grundig G8 portable • Location: Seoul, Korea and West Michigan • Home DX sites: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

At 2:14 in the clip, I hear a liner of a man's voice "1 0 6 point 9 Hits" which could be Larned KS, Jefferson City MO or Muskogee OK. Were you looking for something else? And I believe that sounds like an extended meteor burn (train).
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
    Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
    Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Thanks, Jim. It turns out that it is K-Hits, thanks to Saul's good ears (and others after him). That's three positive IDs by Ms during that coastal bandscan on that afternoon. Talk about good luck for just a few hours on the portable while not even looking for Ms. QX was recorded accidentally and gave an ID in the few seconds it appeared, while Power 95 was nearly one minute of solid Williston ads as if it were an Es opening.

95.1 KTHC MT Sidney / Power 95 / 100kw / Ms heard in car (922 mi.)
      104.1 CFQX MB Selkirk / QX 104 Country / 100kw / Ms over WVGR (636 mi.)
      106.9 KHTT OK Muskogee / K-Hits / 98kw / 5dBµ, mono, Ms (893 mi.)
      [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, Great Lakes Coastal Radio, domestic Korean radio, and Chinese FM tropo and Es - find 12+ hours of audio at http://www.chriskadlec.com/ • Tuner: Grundig G8 portable • Location: Seoul, Korea and West Michigan • Home DX sites: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

Comment

Glad to help. Its amazing how much you can hear from meteor scatter using ear buds.
        Jim Thomas
        Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
        Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
        Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

You hit the Perseids like a hammer straight on the nail. Good stuff!
          Saul Chernos
          Burnt River ON

Comment

Working...
          X