Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ms unIDs (monocerotids and other November showers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ms unIDs (monocerotids and other November showers)

Some unIDs from Burnt River ON. Any thoughts are appreciated:

93.7 06 NV 1029 - Ad sounds like Winfield's Mazda but nothing checks. Tried some spelling variations...

93.7 Monocerotids 21 NV 0220 - Ad for something with two locations on Manchester Road.

93.7 Monocerotids 21 NV 2122 - Ad for what sounds like Sundance Auto and Collision.

95.3 18 NV 1721 - Sounds like The Ride in a station promo, but nothing checks for 95.3.

97.1 05 NV 0932 Bergen Travel Holiday Flyaway Sounder

97.1 04 NV 1038 - Cool 97. Any other options besides WZHD in Canaseraga NY, which is pretty close and TrS regular? This is clearly not TrS.

97.1 05 NV 0933 - IndyHealth.org ... but nothing seems to check.

98.9 Monocerotids 22 NV 0204 - "Magic 98.9" ID clear enough. I think this is WSBY MD rather than KKMG CO or WSPA SC, but would really appreciate a second opinion.

With thanks to anyone who listens and/or comments.

Saul
    Attached Files
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Matt Sittel has solved a couple of these (Thanks, Matt):

93.7 is Lou Fusz Mazda. I would never have picked up on that spelling. But it’s clear enough when I know what to look for. This is solidified by the reference to their ‘all-new state-of-the-art redesigned facility’ which comes up multiple times via their Facebook etc… advertising. No question it’s KSD St. Louis, which I’ve heard via Es but is new via Ms.

97.1 IndyHealth.org is actually Trinity Health.org, a medical center based in Minot ND. This fits with KYYX Minot, which is a very frequent Ms visitor here, usually heard once or twice in any 12-hour recording of the channel.

97.1 is BergAn Travel - note the A. It's in Thief River Falls MN, about 30 miles away from KYCK Crookston MN. KRCK comes in as often as KYYX Minot does, so no surprise catch here but good to know nevertheless.

93.7 ad for something sounding like Sundance Auto & Collision sounds like there’s two locations mentioned towards the end - possibly along the lines of Princeton and Mount Hope. This unID remains a work in progress.

95.3 The Ride with DJ Buckner - The more I listen, it’s either DJ or BJ and Buckner, or the BJ/DJ is something else and the two words are part of one overall name.

Nice to have a couple of these resolved. Thanks, Matt!
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Comment

93.7 Monocerotids 21 NV 0220 - Ad for something with two locations on Manchester Road.....

"...the leading area. We've been named Dealer Rater Dealer of the Year (out of 10?) for the tenth year in a row. And we have two locations on Manchester Road..."

Obviously another auto dealer ad. There are a TON of auto dealerships on Manchester Road in St. Louis, no doubt KSD again.

93.7 Monocerotids 21 NV 2122 - Ad for what sounds like Sundance Auto and Collision....

There is a Sundance Auto and Collision Center in Lansing, Michigan.
      Jim Thomas
      Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
      Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
      Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Everyone within a few hundred miles knows that the Sundance ad is WBCT. They've kept the same ad, same weird intonation on "1 800 Sundance DOT com," same tune, same cowboy hats and horses, same everything for about the last 15 or 20 years. They run ads across the entire southern lower peninsula on TV and radio (mostly Mid-Michigan and West Michigan though) so pretty much anyone living in northern Indiana, Ohio, and all of southern Michigan and likely even Northern Michigan know this ad even if they hear 5 or 10 seconds of it. It's very unlikely to be Club 93-7. Almost certainly WBCT at 320kw. Sundance is in St Johns and Grand Ledge.

I can't understand what the heck she is saying like Mt. Hope or whatever, but those voices and sound effects are unmistakably the two of them.

https://youtu.be/vkpEeQ6X0PM (these are short spots for the web; the usual ads go all out with the man and woman for a full minute or so but harder to find online).
        [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, Great Lakes Coastal Radio, domestic Korean radio, and Chinese FM tropo and Es - find 12+ hours of audio at http://www.chriskadlec.com/ • Tuner: Grundig G8 portable • Location: Seoul, Korea and West Michigan • Home DX sites: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

Comment

Thanks Jim and Chris.

93.7 ad for business with two locations on Manchester Road may be my second catch of KSD in November but it was as the Monocerotids meteor shower was ebbing, so constitutes an ID from this shower - one in a handful IDed. So I am grateful for that.

93.7 same with WBCT and Sundance Auto and Collision; the shower was just getting going. I knew about Lansing et al via Google but didn't feel 100% about this one and wanted to hear what folks here might say - Chris, your comments about the ad clinch this one. Nothing like a local / regional take. Previously heard via Tr and also by Aurora, but new via Ms. Grand Rapids is short for Ms but I've had others from GR before via Ms, most notably the 91.3 from time to time.

Thanks!
          Saul Chernos
          Burnt River ON

Comment

I often get rather short Ms, though I don't ever try to hear any of it. In my lake scans, Harbor Beach has always been a huge location for Ms pings and I've heard Ottawa stations numerous times from there at just over 300 miles. I hear Ottawa pretty much every time I go there actually, but they are always very quick pings with either distinctive French talk or something that no other area stations have. It's always those really powerful signals that get out best via Ms it seems.

I have yet to combine all my Ms pings from Killbear and Awenda, which I'll share with you since it's fun for Ms folks but was just caught coincidentally during my Tr recordings.
            [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, Great Lakes Coastal Radio, domestic Korean radio, and Chinese FM tropo and Es - find 12+ hours of audio at http://www.chriskadlec.com/ • Tuner: Grundig G8 portable • Location: Seoul, Korea and West Michigan • Home DX sites: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

Comment

It takes slight careful attention to detail, sometimes, to distinguish between TrS and Ms. I've seen TrS rise up fairly quickly and have been fooled a few times into thinking something was Ms when I finally concluded it was TrS. Ottawa from Harbor Beach MI ... could be either. It's also possible something other than meteors causes the scatter. Like airplane scatter... I've also twice IDed stations via Lightning Scatter. WMUS 106.9 Muskegon and 104.9 CFJR Brockville. Perfectly synced timing with observed lightning.
              Saul Chernos
              Burnt River ON

Comment

Working...
              X