X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording DX

Saul,

Thanks!

It wouldn't be half as much fun for me to DX without the capability of recording - not only for UNIDs, but just for the fun of re-listening to sessions and actually getting to enjoy them!

Dave
    Originally posted by Saul
    I have listened to the various recordings all of you posted. This forum's ability to hosst these is wonderful. Anmd it was nice to hear others' DX. I loved in particular the 99.9 ad with a Horsetooth street, and the 101.7 the Bull. I will have to get a decent digital recorder and figure out how to edit the audio, etc...

Saul
    Back in Toronto

Comment

Originally posted by Saul
      I have listened to the various recordings all of you posted. This forum's ability to hosst these is wonderful. Anmd it was nice to hear others' DX. I loved in particular the 99.9 ad with a Horsetooth street, and the 101.7 the Bull. I will have to get a decent digital recorder and figure out how to edit the audio, etc...

Saul
      Back in Toronto

Saul, I just joined in on the meteor DXing / recording this year. Before about July this year I was recording everything into .WAV format using the built in windows audio recorder that limits to 60 seconds.
      Jim Thomas directed me to wavepad which is a free download from various websites. Here's one:
      http://www.brothersoft.com/WavePad_Download_26766.html

With this and a patch cord going from one of the audio outputs of the tuner to the audio input of the PC I can record up to 2.5 hours at a time using one of the clearest FM frequencies before it overloads my memory. I only have 160mb of memory to play with. New computers come with 256mb or more now? And you can add more and should be able to record longer. If anyone knows how to make the program write directly to the hard drive as it records that would be fantastic.
      Start it and walk away and do other things, leave, etc. and come back and SEE what is there. You view the recording as a waveform and can see the bursts of signals as peaks. It takes some experimenting to learn all the features and functions to perfect the operation. Listen to them, edit and cut them into smaller files and save. The program has the ability to save in MP3 format and you can adjust the quality. Naturally the higher the quality the more space it takes up. I think 24 is good enough for most, but 32 is better for short recordings.
      Good luck!

Randy
      Randy KW4RZ Goldfield, Nevada DM17

Comment

Perseids unids

Recording in .wav format is a real space-eater. I did that for about 2 months, believing that it made a difference, and then I started recording in .mp3 and found that 99% of the time on DX recordings I couldn't tell the difference. That makes individual files easier to work with, and to post and exchange. It also saves memory. If you want to record direct to the hard drive, order a copy of TotalRecorder at www.highcriteria.com. I have the standard edition and it's by far the best value for the buck ( all 11 of them ) I ever spent in this hobby, and I've been at this on and off for over 40 years.

You might also want to check out another program which is a bit more expensive, which is Power Aduio Editor Pro 2005, @www.nctsoft.net. They run specials at $29.99 about once a quarter.
        Russ Edmunds
        15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
        WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
        Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
        Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
        all w APS9B @ 15'
        Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

Working...
        X