Another 92.9 8/12 unid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 92.9 8/12 unid

This one is either jazz or adult standards. I don't recognize the song, so again can't use yes.com.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    all w APS9B @ 15'
    Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Another 92.9 8/12 unid

Sounds like Smokey Robinson. Sorry but no clue on the station.

Comment

Another 92.9 8/12 unid

Russ,

This is very interesting. In reviewing my logs, I found a clip of the same station you have as a unid. My version is attached.

For the benefit of the group, Russ and I live about 15 air miles apart from each other. Along with Nick in NJ, the three of us live us are all relatively close to one another.

We have found that while some Ms bursts are heard by all three of us, some bursts are heard by only 2 or sometimes even just one of us. It proves how random and localized the scatter from Ms can be.

One night, I also recorded the same frequency on two radios on separate dipole antennas 90 degrees apart. I found pings on one radio that were not heard on the other.

Comment

Another 92.9 8/12 unid

The top contender for this unid has been ruled out. Smooth Jazz WZJL in Michigan reports to yes.com and the song does not match the time slot.

Comment

If this helps to narrow it down, the song is indeed Smokey Robinson's "Quiet Storm".

Quiet Storm may also be a program (the song being the intro)....a lead-in to "cool R&B". WHQT 105.1 here has it (I don't think it's syndicated; more like franchised, maybe?).

If the song was heard near the top of the hour, it may be the program. Best bet is to check out websites of different 92.9's and see if there is a feature for the Quiet Storm show.

I'd rule out any C&W stations!

cd

Comment

probably KVRE in Arkansas
            Randy KW4RZ Goldfield, Nevada DM17

Comment

Interesting - and thanks. KVRE was the obvious potential suspect initially, and AR continues to be well-represented in my MS logs.
              Russ Edmunds
              15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
              WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
              Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
              Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
              all w APS9B @ 15'
              Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

Working...
              X