8/4 92.1 Es unid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/4 92.1 Es unid

I had posted this earlier but due to the crucsh of Es and Ms activity, it didn't get a lot of views, and I'm still convinced this should be ID'able. I've restored a few seconds at the end which were cut off in the earlier clip. I've also made a clip with some filtering and slight slowing. The former has an a at the end of the filename, the latter a b.

I still can't decide if he's saying "Waco Riverbank" or "Rayco Riverbank". There is a Riverbank in Waco, TX, but not so far as I have found a "Waco River", and there's no reasonable spelling of Rayco which corresponds to a river.

NOTE: Actual receptions time was 1723 EDT - filenames are in error.
    Last edited by Russ-PA; 08-18-2008, 06:44 PM.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    all w APS9B @ 15'
    Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

8/4 92.1 Es unid

Well Russ, it appears you should be looking in Randy's area for this one. This was one of those weird spotty Es days where Nick and I were DXing and chatting via IM. We pulled in Tallahassee and New Orleans within 30 minutes of your unid according to my logs.

Also, this supposed "Rocky's" tackle shop is on Route 98. Route 98 is a highway that runs along the Gulf Coast area from the Florida panhandle through Mobile and into Mississippi.

Therefore, your possibles are now..

WNFK
    WFFY (Randy's backyard)
    WZEW
    WJMG
    WBKN

Randy can probably rule out WFFY for ya but I don't think he can help you rule out anything else. It looks like FFY is so close to him it's probably 60 over with a paperclip on his antenna connector.

Looks like a bunch of little class A's are left. Anyone down there know of this mystery "Rayco River" that has great fishing at 4 AM?

Comment

Did a yellow pages search and found this in Perry, FL. http://rockyscampground.com/Hunting___Fishing.html , click location, if this is it, then station would be WNFK http://www.recnet.com/cdbs/fmq.php?c...te=&country=US
      This would fit what K3PHL posted, as Perry, FL. is about 50 miles SE of Tallahassee.
      Craig WDX4CWC EL98JQ
      Last edited by ; 08-18-2008, 11:43 PM.

Comment

The *Waco* or *Rayco* that is heard in the clip is a brand of camping tent chair and a rather moot point to identifying the radio station.

I would place all bets on WNFK Perry, Florida, since the announcer in the ad specifically mentions, ".....before your next fishing trip, come to Rocky's, just a short drive west on 98, where the <shop ?> opens at 4AM...."

The announcer does not mention the town of Perry, since it would be assumed most persons hearing the ad on WNFK live somewhere around Perry. Even on the website for the location of Rockys, it says 4 miles west on Highway 98.
        Jim Thomas
        Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
        Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
        Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Thanks ! But howcum I never found a website for them ? I did searchs for "Rocky's" + "Route 98" and got nothing !

I got a more obvious ( to me at least ) hit on WNFK on 8/4, which was, I'd thought, my first log on that one.
          Russ Edmunds
          WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

all w APS9B @ 15'

Comment

8/4 92.1 Es unid

Russ,

I re-read your oriignal post and see you noted getting that audio at 1723. I logged WTNT in Tallahassee at 1752 while Nick got them almost 10 minutes earlier at 1742. We later got New Orleans. Based on a rare east to west moving cloud, this also supports the theory of WNFK.

So all this work and it's a relog for ya?

Comment

Google pulled up all kind's of info for "Rocky's Perry, FL"
              When I'm hunting down ads I usually start with the town name around a suspected station.

Steve, WFFY is very strong here, 11 miles to the tower but amazingly they have been covered a couple times on strong tropo, once by WLTQ near Tampa at 340 miles, KTSR at 398, WJNS at 276, and occasionally by WZEW which is only 85 miles west. WLTQ and WNFK in the Suwannee River area have been heard enough the few times WFFY has been turned off.
              Randy KW4RZ Goldfield, Nevada DM17

Comment

What I did was a internet yellow pages phone book search first, I checked for Rockys and Rockies in FL, AL, LA. MS and TX. The only one that had a listing on 98 was in Perry (lucked out that 98 was used in the listing and not its named street if it has one). Then as Randy said goggled Rockys Perry, FL. and found it.
                Craig WDX4CWC EL98JQ

Comment

Since I was thinking "Waco", I wasn't working with any suspected stations as there aren't any 92.1's close enough, and I had no hint of it being a Florida station as I never got past that name being a river, so I went general. But "Rocky's" + "Route 98" ( and even "Highway 98" ) came up with only unconnected hits.
                  Russ Edmunds
                  WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

all w APS9B @ 15'

Comment

Working...
                  X