Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery French Canadian Station (My 1st!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery French Canadian Station (My 1st!)

Yesterday, around 8:30 pm (01:30 UTC), and today around 3:45 pm (20:45 UTC), on 95.1, I believe there was an opening into Canada. Es? I usually get a weak to medium WXTK, W. Yarmouth, Cape Cod MA (70 mi. 50,000 watts). So, Rush Limbaugh is mixed in. Here's 3 recordings from today, minutes apart, starting at 3:45 pm. I believe it may be one of the many relays for CBON. This one specifically might be CBON-17, North Bay Ontario, but, I don't speak French Canadian. WX was hot and humid yesterday, same today with thunderstorms. Maybe someone can ID it. (Oops, my spelling is bad. I put CBOB instead of CBON on the file name.)
    Last edited by DX Grrl; 08-10-2011, 12:44 AM.
    2010 Honda Fit stock radio.
    Grundig G8 ultralight .
    Grundig G3

If its Première Chaîne it could also be CBF from Montreal, they are common by tropo here. I don't know much French so I can't tell you what they are saying but it sounds like Première Chaîne to me.
    DX Radios:
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    Sony XDR-S10HDiP
    Tecsun PL-390

Comment

I don't hear anything in here that IDs it as any particular station. I think spunker88 is probably right, that it's Montreal -- it doesn't sound like E-skip to me, and while tropo to North Bay is not at all impossible, it's fairly unlikely.
      Doug Smith W9WI
      Pleasant View, TN EM66
      http://www.w9wi.com

Comment

Well, I do recall someone mentioning Montreal, in the recording & thought a-ha...maybe. And, looking at Google maps, based on my QTH, it does look like very odd hop for me to get North Bay. My skip's been from places nowhere near that track.
        Grundig G8 ultralight .
        Grundig G3

Comment

I hear a lot of multipath flutter, typical to tropo.
          Randy KW4RZ Goldfield, Nevada DM17

Comment

Another French Canadian Mystery

This time on 88.5. I was in Swampscott MA, 9:15 pm (02:15 UTC). It was warm and pouring with rain. I've uploaded 2 recordings to. Hopefully there will be some identifier. Needless to say, it came in well enough (mixed w/ an unID'd Jazz station), while stationary. Then, driving, it followed me home, w/ good consistency. I had to trim the cut. I guess there is a MB limit. :banghead:
            Last edited by DX Grrl; 08-10-2011, 01:26 AM.
            Grundig G8 ultralight .
            Grundig G3

Comment

Es can sound like this now and then, and North Bay and Thunder Bay (etc.) certainly can be heard in New England, although you won't hear French from that region nearly as common as you'll hear it locally from tropo. With that said, your 95.1 clip clearly mentions Montreal at 0:08 (note on this though: Montreal is the center of the Canadian French world, so you may hear this on any French station across Canada, given the network or program) and this station is an easy tropo catch in Massachusetts (depending on signal strength as you have closerby stations to deal with), and the stronger stations from MTL, such as this one, are even common groundwave in the Concord (NH, I mean, not MA) area.

Your 95.1 is 100kw CBF. Your 88.5 is almost surely CBME (CBC 1), 25kw from MTL as well. Your jazz interference is almost surely your semi-local WFCR Amherst playing their "Jazz à la Mode" program (from 8-11pm). WFCR is extremely common on the North Shore, albeit rather weak at times.

My bandscan pages may help you out a lot, given your location. I'm not sure how much DXing experience you have.

This is the main North Shore bandscan from my hometown of Newburyport (right up the road), including the Hampton Beach area, Salisbury, etc., so I'm sure your dial will be quite similar to this, with a few differences since you're closer to the Cape and Boston itself --> http://www.beaglebass.com/dx/dx_bandscan_seacoast.htm

For some tropo from your north, my Montreal bandscans could help you with some of your French stations >> http://www.beaglebass.com/dx/dx_bandscan_montreal.htm

... and you can see which Quebec stations are most common in places like New Hampshire, which can help you with out in tropo events like this, by going to my White Mountains bandscans: http://www.beaglebass.com/dx/dx_bandscan_mountains.htm

You've got plenty of [very experienced] DXers around you in the Boston area, South Shore, and Springfield/Hartford to rely on and catches like this will take them only seconds to ID usually.

PS: There is a limit on file size, but your files are being recorded in 320kbps. 128kbps will give you a good 3 minutes per file that you will be allowed to post without much quality loss when it comes to such tropo/skip clips. Even 96kbps will do.
              Last edited by cckadlec; 08-10-2011, 02:16 AM. Reason: P.S. note
              [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, Great Lakes Coastal Radio, domestic Korean radio, and Chinese FM tropo and Es - find 12+ hours of audio at http://www.chriskadlec.com/ • Tuner: Grundig G8 portable • Location: Seoul, Korea and West Michigan • Home DX sites: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

Comment

Thank you very much for your aid. I've never really paid much attention to anything below 92.1, until now. I'm still working out my confusion about this portion of the FM band, given my newness to more serious DXing. Your band-scans are a great resource. Wow! Two CBCs in one week!
                Grundig G8 ultralight .
                Grundig G3

Comment

Dxing below 92.1 can be interesting, especially when going for Canadian stations. Unlike the US there is no non-commercial band from 88.1 to 92.1, so sometimes a commercial sounding station in this band can be a giveaway that its Canadian. But there can be US based college radio, etc that sound commercial so you can't go on this alone.
                  DX Radios:
                  Sony XDR-F1HD
                  Sony XDR-S10HDiP
                  Tecsun PL-390

Comment

The 88.5 clips cannot be CBME, since CBC only airs in English. Radio-Canada is the French network.

The 88.5 clips involve two Haitian men discussing U.S. and Haitian politics in a mix of French and French Creole. This is a Boston-area Haitian pirate radio station.

Jon

Comment

Heh, boy is my face red. Very very early on, I thought they sounded Haitian, then I got caught up in the possible thrill it might be a Canadian station. I should have listened to my gut. Just what we need in my market, another pirate, yaarg! They seem to be proliferating like tribbles. Granted they do provide a needed service & voice for underrepresented urban communities. However, one of my distant regulars, 102.9 WBLM Portland ME one night recently, was completely stomped by not just one Spanish pirate, living loud and clear on that frequency for I don't know how long, but, a second weak one as well! :banghead:
                      Last edited by DX Grrl; 08-10-2011, 06:59 PM.
                      Grundig G8 ultralight .
                      Grundig G3

Comment

No question 95.1 is Première Chaîne. I hear the North Bay one and others often enough, as they're almost local. The only intelligible thing I hear with the weather that is given is Sud, or South. That probably refers to a region. My guess, without looking at a list of CBC stations, is you had Montreal by tropo. And I do concur it sounds like tropo, and I know of no FM Es in the last few days hitting FM anywhere close to that path (which would not be an easy one by Es).

I have had MA on FM once via Es, a freak opening to cape Cod and Boston area. Snagged 2, 4, 5 just before analog shut down. Usually when there's skip to the southeast I get the Atlantic Ocean ;-)

I listsned to 88.5 clips and I agree with Jon that the dialect is Haitian (French), and pirates in your neck of the woods, I mean high seas, are most likely. I've seen lists online.

Saul
                        Saul Chernos
                        Burnt River ON

Comment

All afternoon today,"CBC" 95.1 was in and out, sometimes very clear & overriding WXTK, Hyannis MA. This tropo opening is really stable!
                          Grundig G8 ultralight .
                          Grundig G3

Comment

That reminds me of a 3-day tropo event I experienced while on vacation at my family's cottage in NE Maine. The tropo was steady to Mass/RI/CT throughout but extended at one point into the Philadelphia area, as well as Long Island. This was somewhere in the mid 90's. I've never experienced anything like that here, although I have when DX'ing from central Georgia.
                            Russ Edmunds
                            15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
                            WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
                            Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
                            Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
                            all w APS9B @ 15'
                            Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

Wow!
                              Grundig G8 ultralight .