Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery French Canadian Station (My 1st!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its too bad you have a local on 96.9 in Boston, otherwise you could try for the 307kw CKOI from Montreal. Their HAAT isn't very high, but with that much power its usually the strongest station from Montreal when I get tropo. Usually during a good tropo opening I can get CBF from Montreal, turn my antenna and get 95.1 the Fox from Rochester.
    DX Radios:
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    Sony XDR-S10HDiP
    Tecsun PL-390

Comment

D'oh!!! Thank you Jon for that correction. That's just a tad embarrassing. I dunno why I didn't connect those dots with the whole language issue. I'm quite familiar with Quebec radio, just didn't think of that at the time. :duh: I guess I'm just not as thorough when it's not my own DX catch.
      [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, Great Lakes Coastal Radio, domestic Korean radio, and Chinese FM tropo and Es - find 12+ hours of audio at http://www.chriskadlec.com/ • Tuner: Grundig G8 portable • Location: Seoul, Korea and West Michigan • Home DX sites: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

Comment

My mum taught French (not Canadian French), & I've produced a Haitian radio show (1550 WNTN-AM, Newton MA), a few years ago. There are definitely noticeable differences between French (Canadian) & Haitian Creole French. The signal I was listening to wasn't very clear at times, but, I ignored my instinct that the accent wasn't quite right, w/ some of the talk show guests. I was wearing my newbie DX goggles.
        2010 Honda Fit stock radio.
        Grundig G8 ultralight .
        Grundig G3

Comment

Just so you know, Canadian French is a dialect that is not taught in schools. The Radio-Canada programs you have in your clips are in Standard French (also known as International French). The speakers have a Canadian accent, however. Your mum likely learnt Standard French in school, probably with a Parisian French influence in lexicon. This is how French is taught in English schools & colleges in Canada as well.

Haitian Creole has a heavy African (primarily Fonbe & Yoruba) influence, and places the definite article and possesive pronoun after the noun/item posessed.

Jon

Comment

Thanks. That is great information. I'm learning all over the place! Funny story: My mum knows International French, & more than usable Mexican Spanish. My parents went to Paris, for her birthday, & every time she wanted to use French, the Spanish equivalent of what she wanted to say popped into her head first. Funny how that works. She didn't do badly, when we went to Montreal, though. Lovely city, & we had a great time.
            2010 Honda Fit stock radio.
            Grundig G8 ultralight .
            Grundig G3

Comment

Working...
            X