2 7/1/11 Es unids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 7/1/11 Es unids

These may be the same station. The second clip ( 1919 ) has an ID but I haven't matched it to anything so far. Skip was mostly to FL/AL/MS at the time of the first clip, but a second cloud to MO/IA had popped up around the time of the second clip.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    all w APS9B @ 15'
    Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

In the first clip towards the end I hear what sounds like "Your Hometown Station is KGI?" but there is nothing on 92.3 with those calls. It may not be KGI but definitely sounds like it starts with a K.

The second sounds like it may have a classic country format which isn't much help when its in the south as there are a lot of them.
    DX Radios:
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    Sony XDR-S10HDiP
    Tecsun PL-390

Comment

I had the calls as KTGI, which also equates to nothing. They both sound like classic country types to me, which is why I think it might be the same station, but maybe not.
      Russ Edmunds
      WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

all w APS9B @ 15'

Comment

Listen again guys...i'm hearing with the ending of a classic country song, "Your hometown station is KDEX (or similar).....lead in to 'Autozone' ad.
        I know KDEX is 102.3 Dexter MO and I don't find any tx for KDEX on 92.3.

On the other clip, the announcer says, "...with a Friday night catfish fry.....You are, Licking. Welcome home. 92 point three."
        IF i'm not hearing things incorrectly, this could possibly be KSAR Thayer MO. Licking MO is in the KSAR listening area, and KSAR does feature classic country.
        Last edited by Jim Thomas; 01-31-2012, 08:43 PM. Reason: Added information
        Jim Thomas
        Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
        Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
        Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

KDEI, I might go for; KDEX, I'm not hearing it. KDEI however, it isn't as that's an AM which is "Radio Maria".

On the other, I hear it as "You are where you belong, welcome home..." which doesn't confirm or deny KSAR, but I don't hear "Licking" at all.
          Russ Edmunds
          WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

all w APS9B @ 15'

Comment

On the first clip, I hear the first set of call letters that sound like KDD-- and then, faintly, right before the guy says "AUTO ZONE" there is what sounds like another set of call letters, --IM or --IN. I hear nothing that would identify where this "hometown" station (or pair of stations?) might be. On the second clip, I hear "...and a Friday night catfish fry. We'll see you there. You are where where you get rich. Welcome Home. 92.3"

Comment

Well, I decided to give the first clip a go and what I got out of it wasn't very helpful: "Your hometown station is KDDIT." Then you mentioned Florida and I thought about the biggest Es powerhouse on that frequency down there and it's K-92 FM without a doubt for me. The five-letter calls didn't exactly make sense (obviously!), but if I listen with K-92 in mind, I can (possibly) hear "K _ 92". While I don't think it's K-92 (due to that extra sound in there), it very well could be "_ _-92" if there are any such stations out there. Sounds like the end of a country song there, so you'd imagine it'd be a country station.

My research led me to KTTN in Missouri. No confirmation as their stream doesn't load, but many people from the Plains straight down to east Texas often pronounce "T" as "D" in plain speech. You can hear this speech pattern in many songs and interviews of famous people from some of these regions, like Hilary Duff (from Houston) for example. So while we're hearing KDD__, it could very well indeed be KTT__. Anyway, I do believe this was your suspected final result in your original posting from July as well.
              [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, Great Lakes Coastal Radio, domestic Korean radio, and Chinese FM tropo and Es - find 12+ hours of audio at http://www.chriskadlec.com/ • Tuner: Grundig G8 portable • Location: Seoul, Korea and West Michigan • Home DX sites: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

Comment

It doesn't sound like K92 FM normally sounds, but I could be wrong. They are an ES pest for me every time I get Florida, I had them in HD for a good 30 seconds last year. The unid here sounds more like a smaller town station, KTTN would definitely fit that. I found a working stream for KTTN on Tunein Radio but I'm not sure if its for their AM or FM.
                DX Radios:
                Sony XDR-F1HD
                Sony XDR-S10HDiP
                Tecsun PL-390

Comment

I think what you have to have is KTTN in Trenton, MO. It's really the only thing on 92.3 that plays country and has a KTT or KDD call sign. I looked on the FCC FM Call Sign Search for all of the KTT and KDD stations. Many of the KTT stations are country but KTTN was the only one on 92.3 AND was in Missouri skip area. Others were in TX and AZ which are in the same direction.

KTTN's web page and Wiki page also mentions country music in its schedule/format.

John
                  ];')

Comment

Thanks - KTTN has been heard before, but the logic makes sense - seems better than the other possibilities. And I'm also almost positive it isn't K-92 for the reasons mentioned.
                    Russ Edmunds
                    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

all w APS9B @ 15'

Comment

Working...
                    X