90.9 La Voz de l'esperanza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90.9 La Voz de l'esperanza

There was a veritable deluge of Caribbean signals into the Great Lakes area (and east coast) early Tuesday evening. Robert Ross logged 7 FMs from Puerto Rico, at typical doublehop distances (though I wonder if these are long single-hops given no middlepoints seemed evident). Anyhow, I had a few Spanish signals at Burnt River ON. This one has a La voz de l'esperanza ID - two jingles, actually - at the one minute mark of the attached clip. I gather a Dominican Republic station on 90.9 uses these liners. Any sense that this is them? I had momentary Spanish on 90.5 around the same time, with nothing noted within single-hop range. Later on with US stations (FL-TX) in I had Spanish on 90.1. Unattended recordings may yield further gems. I left one set on 90.9 for a long time and it's somewhere in a flurry of files. This one was when the craziness started so I singled it out. Comments appreciated, with thanks. - Saul
    Attached Files
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Well, the jingle definitely stands out.

The stream is here, if you wish to monitor for a while for a possible match:

https://radios.com.do/amanecer/

Edit: Radio Amanecer is “la voz de la esperanza”.

cd

Comment

Way to go Saul on getting HIFK! "La Ruta de la Esperanza", said at 01:03, is a program on Radio Amanecer.

Jon

Comment

I also got a Spanish on 90.5 here in Michigan while a lot of this was going on. However, all the other stations around that same time were grouped around the single hop endpoints in southern Georgia and northern Florida. There is a Spanish religious station in Georgia on 90.5. I didn't bother investigating it further. It was a rather weak station that was poking in and out, couldn't tell what the format was, it was just after the top of the hour anyway, so it may have had news instead of religious. Just moved on and accepted the rest of what I got. I think a lot of the double hop was just to my east like your area. But I'm only 200 miles from Rob. But that's still about 1/4 of a normal hop's length.
        [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, Great Lakes Coastal Radio, domestic Korean radio, and Chinese FM tropo and Es - find 12+ hours of audio at http://www.chriskadlec.com/ • Tuner: Grundig G8 portable • Location: Seoul, Korea and West Michigan • Home DX sites: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

Comment

Thanks! Chris, I'll definitely monitor that link. Jon, I appreciate knowing about the program. It does seem to all fit together. The last few days have been overwhelming with skip. I've also looked at a map (d'oh) and realize that DR (and Puerto Rico) are significantly farther east that I was thinking. The whole stretch, minus the trip from here to the eastern US coast, is water. This would seem to have shifted westwards pretty quickly and / or the activity to FL GA and such that followed masked the more distant stuff. Chris, do you save clips like the 90.5? I'm not sure I had much on 90.5 but when I go through my clips I'll find out. I have so many unattended clips stacked up from this past few days ... this could take awhile. I really need to get a map out and plot paths to various places. In the old days we used to glue our ears to the radio not knowing what might be going on; nowadays - at least in my case - I keep an eye on the maps to see what paths are opening up. But I've had some spectacular openings this summer to more unusual (for me) places that haven't appeared on the maps because no one else was reporting anything of the sort. Like north-central MB/SK (well north of the big cities and usual targets). Like, I wonder how many hams are active in Norway House MB...
          Saul Chernos
          Burnt River ON

Comment

Saul,

I record almost everything, when I remember to, on my mp3 recorder. At the end of the year, or later, I put all the best, mostly IDs, onto audio cassette and tag the year on the tape.

That being said, I already have a boatload of audio for 2021, and I haven’t reviewed stuff even from the past month yet. There should be more audio for 2021 than any year before—and we aren’t through. July 13 drove me up the wall.

cd

Comment

I think we're high atop the same wall... swamped with work, DX to review, and a season that keeps on giving. Never mind a personal life... I was quick to upload the 90.9 clip in part because last summer I lost a whole whack of recordings. Wanted to at least resolve one of the clips as soon as possible. Call me paranoid... :-)
              Saul Chernos
              Burnt River ON

Comment

Yesterday I think I finally joined the group of 'overwhelmed' DXers. Get ready Raymie, Jon and other SS speakers, you about to have a field day with UNIDs! ;-)
                FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Comment

I may not have much to say about your Spanish unIDs, but I do try and listen to what's posted - always cool to hear, and if I'm lucky the more I listen the more I can navigate later on.
                  Saul Chernos
                  Burnt River ON

Comment

Working...
                  X