Monumental Double Hop Es opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monumental Double Hop Es opening

One of the best 2X Es openings I've ever experienced. Discovered at 10:23 AM Pacific and the 2X window continued until about 10:40. Tabasco, Chiapas and Guatemala. Many signals identified, are in the 1988 - 2269 mile range. Many Villahermosa stations with full bottom of the hour slam dunk IDs. Suspect unid Guatemalans will be in the Coban and Salama region, a few were IDed from there. The 97.5 Viva FM is clear and mentions Palenque and has an internet presence but I cannot find any technical data on this station in Chiapas, Mex. Maybe an unlicensed station? I've removed the 90.7 clip, it doesn't contain the ID material found this morning 8/3/21. Earlier in the SDR recording there is an ID of sorts - "Sembrador de Cristo" and at 35 min. past the hour the children begin chanting the Rosary in a Mayan / Spanish dialect. Discovered today 8/3/21 this matches their program exact at 11:35 Guatemala time "Santo Rosario" (Holy Rosary) and have logged this station https://www.medios.gt/sembrador907 Appears to be another unlicensed station. No technical data anywhere.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KW4RZ; 08-04-2021, 01:05 AM.
    Randy KW4RZ Goldfield, Nevada DM17

Viva FM is on the list I'm maintaining with several others of 400+ Mexican pirates. https://www.facebook.com/vivafm97.5/?_rdc=1&_rdr

90.9: XHJAP. Listen for "La Guapachosa 90.9" at 00:09
    95.9: can't make it out
    99.1: "99.1 Oreja FM", new name for XHVHT after operator change.
    94.7: Mexican COVID PSA and something else I can't name
    92.7: Some quite untimely fades. A mention of "San Crist?bal Verapaz" in Guatemala (thanks to Gargadon). Section at :43-:47 smacks of an indigenous language maybe?
    95.3: The ad mentions "artesan?as tarahumaras". That is quite unusual for the region mentioned — we're quite far from, say, Guachochi. Hmmmmm... Song is from a group "El Fantasma" — who knows.
    90.7: This is in an indigenous language.
    96.1: A religious station, Ministerio Jesucristo el Sanador (Christ the Healer). Searching with this + 96.1 reveals a religious pirate in Macuspana, Tabasco, Mexico. No web presence AT ALL! What a catch.
    97.1: Discussion of what it takes to survive on...a sea voyage. Mention of "Dr. Alfonso Martinez Guerra". The only doctor by that name is in Monclova, Coahuila. XHPU
    98.7: Phone number 914 688 5322 (not sure on last bit). The Mexican AC leads to areas of Tabasco including XHCPBS-FM Nacajuca. I cannot find their phone number. This station went into service in February 2020.
    Last edited by Raymie; 07-24-2021, 08:56 PM.
    Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

Raymie, thank you for your expert exam on this mess! Back when I was DXing from Florida would get Es to Guatemala and the adjacent Mexican states occasionally there would be unknown unlicensed stations in the mix. There sure seems to be a lot of them down there. Details on Guatemalan stations are still vague and seemingly unobtainable.

Comment

How much power are those pirates usually running? 100 watts or something? Getting a Guatemalan or Mexican pirate station on Es is shocking enough, but by 2X?!
        Whenever this season wraps up, we'll be reminiscing the '2021 season' for years or decades to come...
        FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Comment

Originally posted by KW4RZ View Post
          Raymie, thank you for your expert exam on this mess! Back when I was DXing from Florida would get Es to Guatemala and the adjacent Mexican states occasionally there would be unknown unlicensed stations in the mix. There sure seems to be a lot of them down there. Details on Guatemalan stations are still vague and seemingly unobtainable.
          The WTFDA DB has Guatemala info from SITEL, the telecom regulator there.

Chiapas has a pirate radio epidemic. San Crist?bal de las Casas has one of the most crowded bands anywhere, including several multi-frequency religious pirates. Chiapas has a lot of evangelical activity which has driven this; it has the lowest proportion of Catholics of any Mexican state. Our spreadsheet has 77 pirates in Chiapas and that's gotta be a major undercount with stations like the one you caught in Macuspana, Tabasco—there is just one web reference to a 96.1 from that ministry in all of Facebook, and I'm lucky that was there.

https://medium.com/en-frecuencia/cro...l-ae6796ab8313
          Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

Fascinating, Raymie. Thanks for putting that together and sharing. I've pulled out a few more weak signals that might have some identification content. The 95.9 at 1038 has an ID I cannot make out.
            Attached Files

Comment

The 92.3 is hiring for various manual labor positions. I have nothing on any of them though.

Comment

Working...
              X