90.5 Spanish - suspect doublehop to south

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90.5 Spanish - suspect doublehop to south

90.1 yielded Colombia, 90.9 had Dominican Republic, other Ontario DXers had Puerto Rico at this time on July 13. so I'm casting a wide net here in terms of geographic expectations. I'm attaching 10 clips for 90.5 which have the starting time (EDT) in the file name. I think with 90.5 that there's at least two separate stations fading in.

1727 - At 49 second "Radio something" with that 'something' sounding like 'Pariso'.
    1732 - Cool Latin music. Possibly mentions Cumbia or Colombia at 29 seconds followed by a bit of music and talk.
    1733 - Weak-moderate signals with some talk and bits of music.
    1735 - Much the same as 1733.
    1753 - Much the same as 1733.
    1756 - Much the same as 1733.
    1758 - Music or sound I'd associate with an extended bit of bumper music that might go with a news bulletin.
    1803 - Talk, possible ad with jingle towards end.
    1805 - Music (perhaps in an ad?), a few ads including some rapid-fire talk that's probably an ad disclaimer.
    1806 - More of the talk (ads) similar to (and extending from) 1805 clip.

Some pretty weak signals at times, other times they get quite decent. Any leads are greatly appreciated!

Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON
    Attached Files
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Colombia has six 90.5s. And we have something of a problem...at first.

HJAF (A) Cali — Caracol
    HJIY (B) Monteria, C?rdoba — Ol?mpica Stereo
    HJQW (B) Cartagena de Indias — Ol?mpica Stereo
    HJP92 (C) Guaduas, Cundinamarca — Ol?mpica (I believe this is the Honda station)
    HJA52 (C) Marinilla, Antioquia (public interest)
    HJH47 (C 1 kW) Momp?s, Bol?var — Vida Abundante (Christian)

17:32 25seconds has a very clear "Ol?mpica" jingle. I can rule out HJP92; it's too far south. The other two Ol?mpica stations are in the north and each plausible.

I can only pick out one of the ads, a national spot for Alfa (construction materials). The other ad required much more sleuthing BUT confirms this is Monter?a.

It is an ad for a diagnostic center that also turned up in https://www.facebook.com/El-Tropik-U...2891217611722/

Go to 24:40 (bolded = very audible in the clip):

"En Monter?a, CDA San Rafael. ?nico centro de diagn?stico con dos pistas de inspecci?n, menos tiempo de espera, mayor agilidad, amplias instalaciones y la mejor atenci?n. Calle 78, Segundo Anillo Vial, sentido norte-sur, diagonal al Gimnasio Campestre."

It's a car repair shop and seals HJIY as the station in question.
    Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

Speechless ... well, almost! That's 2487 miles roughly from Monter?a to Coboconk (a village roughly 1 mile west of me and which I use for Geobytes City Distance tool). This is a new distance record for me, eclipsing Barranquilla CLM 90.1 (2339 miles, heard the same time roughly). Given the FB link, that sounds along the same lines, music-wise. I'm going to research the station, and send them an audio file or two, and a note. Bet they don't get too many reports from Canada.

Raymie, your analysis of this clip has more than made my day; I'd say it's made my entire season. I am curious ... did you get the impression this was the same station in all of these clips? And do you think there were multiple stations, two or more, at any given point?

This will be it for me for July 13. I did live check a lot of the band, but nothing else was noted live, and I was actually having a midday nap when this opening started. I left the radio I could hear on 91.3 in case skip started, and for whatever reason I awoke (maybe I heard something?) and checked my e-m,ail and realized DXers south and southwest of me were reporting Puerto Rico. So I started checking around. I should have watched the skip maps and of there were TV or ham contacts being made left recordings going on the lower channels. Then again, how often does this happen ... it's my first opening to the Caribbean and South America in 45 years (I've had northern and north central Mexico before).

Raymie - Thanks!!!

Saul
      Saul Chernos
      Burnt River ON

Comment

Here's the HJIY listing as found in the Colombian FM directory.
        Attached Files
        Jim Thomas
        Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
        Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
        Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Thanks, Jim. I noticed the 10 KW, and also the relative close proximity to the coast. What a summer - Bill Hepburn in Niagara getting the Azores at over 2600 miles, Bryce Foster in MA getting Iceland, NL's Larry Horlick getting Spain, and good domestic 2Es between CA / WA and FL, NV to many places, me into NV ...
          Saul Chernos
          Burnt River ON

Comment

A friendly reminder....

If and when Colombia FM is suspected, do NOT forget to tune even-decimal frequencies. Colombia adopted even- as well as odd-decimal freqs about 20 years ago.

I may have about 5 or 6 videos as examples on my YouTube page:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCsTCS...9iHKPHQ/videos

cd

Comment

Yes, I noticed that as I was looking at the FMLIST directory. Chris, that is an exceedingly helpful reminder - and a good strategy for having more open channels to check and monitor than we might otherwise have up here... So, thanks!
              Saul Chernos
              Burnt River ON

Comment

Originally posted by Saul View Post
                Speechless ... well, almost! That's 2487 miles roughly from Monter?a to Coboconk (a village roughly 1 mile west of me and which I use for Geobytes City Distance tool). This is a new distance record for me, eclipsing Barranquilla CLM 90.1 (2339 miles, heard the same time roughly). Given the FB link, that sounds along the same lines, music-wise. I'm going to research the station, and send them an audio file or two, and a note. Bet they don't get too many reports from Canada.

Raymie, your analysis of this clip has more than made my day; I'd say it's made my entire season. I am curious ... did you get the impression this was the same station in all of these clips? And do you think there were multiple stations, two or more, at any given point?

This will be it for me for July 13. I did live check a lot of the band, but nothing else was noted live, and I was actually having a midday nap when this opening started. I left the radio I could hear on 91.3 in case skip started, and for whatever reason I awoke (maybe I heard something?) and checked my e-m,ail and realized DXers south and southwest of me were reporting Puerto Rico. So I started checking around. I should have watched the skip maps and of there were TV or ham contacts being made left recordings going on the lower channels. Then again, how often does this happen ... it's my first opening to the Caribbean and South America in 45 years (I've had northern and north central Mexico before).

Raymie - Thanks!!!

Saul
                I can't rule out Cartagena sneaking in there...it is in the same network and slightly further north...but the local ad seals Monteria.
                Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

Raymie - If there was an obvious echo or delay I might begin to consider a second outlet. But I'm beyond thrilled getting Monteria. Thanks, again!

Saul Chernos
                  Burnt River ON

Comment

Working...
                  X