Spanish 90.1 - FL or ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish 90.1 - FL or ???

Spanish-language Christian station faded in on 90.1 on July 31. A Newfoundland ham was reporting contacts in Dominican Republic around 50 MHz at the time, and while there is a gap in the WTFDA logger for July 31 I vaguely recall Bill Hepburn in Grimsby ON having 6 Venezuela sometime in this period. Three brief clips attached, from 1930, 1935 and 1947 EDT. There might be a phone number in the 1930 clip. Is there any IDable material at all. This was alternating with an NPR station, and I'm presuming FL for the NPR because I had 90.9 Naples at the 1959. Anything IDable or potentially worth investigating in these?

With thanks,

Saul Chernos / Burnt River ON
    Attached Files
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

There is not phone number, but versicles number. in the first clip. The preacher self ID as Elmer Su?rez or Elmer Suarez, It's lead me to (252) L?der de Grupo de Adoraci?n JTA Hermano Elmer Suarez - YouTube that is in Annapolis, but no one clue about any Radio on their social nets.

Comment

Humberto, thank you for looking into that! The voice does sound the same, so we have at least IDed the pastor. At least I've learned a new word out of this - versicles. I looked that up, and in case anyone is wondering ... "a short sentence said or sung by the minister in a church service, to which the congregation gives a response. Again, thanks!
      Saul
      Saul Chernos
      Burnt River ON

Comment

Originally posted by Saul View Post
        Humberto, thank you for looking into that! The voice does sound the same, so we have at least IDed the pastor. At least I've learned a new word out of this - versicles. I looked that up, and in case anyone is wondering ... "a short sentence said or sung by the minister in a church service, to which the congregation gives a response. Again, thanks!
        Saul
        "versicle" as in a very literal translation of vers?culo — verse. He mentions John 10:35–41.
        Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

Thanks, Raymie and Humberto. Useful to know what I was hearing, though there may be multiple domestic and Latin American options. I have something in the order of 100 or more unIDs, mostly English-language, that I'm still working on from this unbelievable season ...
          Saul Chernos
          Burnt River ON

Comment

I haven't even STARTED going through the inconceivable period of mid and late July yet! Well, not to mention I am back to fall quarter here and homework is piling up, along with field experience that I start next week. But once I start going through the sequence of Es beginning July 14th, I should have 25-30 UNIDs...
            FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Comment

I have enough unID and unattended AM and FM clips that if I couldn't actually DX for a year I'd be busy and add potentially tons to the logbook. Life does go on... When I was a student I didn't even think of recording ... it was such a different world 40 years ago.
              Saul Chernos
              Burnt River ON

Comment

Well, for one thing, being in the Education program here, I am transitioning back into the schools post-COVID shutdowns and vaccinations and will be student teaching this spring. That will take up 90% of my waking life...the college even *strongly* discourages people from holding a job during their student teaching quarter BECAUSE of the amount of time spent in the school, and eventually taking over the teacher's job for five weeks. 60 hours of unpaid experience minimum in the spring, which means my FM DX listening hours go 'bye bye'. In addition, my student teaching position is up in Quincy, WA (37 mi NE of here in western Grant County), completely different FM dial too. Ellensburg FMs don't make it up there, it is in a 1200' valley between Wenatchee and Ephrata/Moses Lake. Some Wenatchee signals have a tough time getting out there, like 94.7 and some of the translators.

The 1st half of the 2022 season will be split between Quincy and Ellensburg (nights/weekends). The second half? Who knows. It all depends on 1, getting my Bachelor's degree, and 2, where open teaching positions are available. It could be Chelan, could be Goldendale, could be Walla Walla, maybe as far as north Idaho or far western Montana. I just know that my apartment will be vacated around July of '22, right in the middle of Es season. Where I end up depends on job interviews and which district or school hires me.

The ironic part is how Kyle (DX_Sphere) and I were both going to CWU and DXing at the same time. Talk about a small world on the same niche hobby.
                FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Comment

Yeah, DX signals faded significantly during my university days (journalism school). Good luck with the teaching career!
                  Saul Chernos
                  Burnt River ON

Comment

Working...
                  X