X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Send us your nitelites

OK....

Anyone in this club who is still seeing nitelite service, ESPECIALLY chs 2-6, please post here. Thanx

cd

Especially lowband ones !!
    Thanks

Comment

WSIL 3 (zero offset) Harrisburg, IL. is doing nightlight. It's running info, in English and Spanish, about the DTV switch.
      Channel 4 with plus offset (WSMV Nashville?) and channel 5 with minus offset (KSDK St. Louis?) are also running the same nightlight info.
      73, Ed NN2E
      Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
      Last edited by NN2E; 06-13-2009, 03:44 AM.
      "You Might Be a Redneck If...
      Your TV is on 24/7.
      Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
      The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
      Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
      Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
      Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
      Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
      Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
      Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Yes, WSMV-4 Nashville is nightlight. Also, CD's favorite, WPBT-2 Miami, which I saw this afternoon via E-skip.

I had not seen a TRACE of E-Skip until today, and not only did I get WPBT, but also Cuba on channels 2, 3, and 6. Plus there was a Spanish speaking telecast of a baseball game on Channel 4 - the video did not come close to overpowering WSMV, but the audio came through loud and clear.

Comment

Channel 11 (zero offset) Might be KPLR St. Louis, MO. DTV info nightlight.
          Channel 13 (zero offset) Might be WPXS Mt. Vernon, IL. DTV info nightlight.
          Channel 44 (minus offset) Pretty sure it's WEVV Evansville, IN. DTV info nightlight.
          Channel 50 (zero offset) DTV info nightlight. Not sure if it's WPGD Hendersonville, TN. or WPXX Memphis, TN. I can't turn the indoor antenna to verify. Not having the big antennas and a rotator is beginning to get on my nerves.

Ant-Nut,
          E-skip has been almost non-existent here, too. Don't know if it's the fault of the indoor antenna or not. VHF doesn't seem to work so well on the indoor set-up. KFVS is really puny since they went back to channel 12.

73, Ed NN2E

Update 6-16-09...Antennanut tells me it's WPXX 50 z that is running the nightlight not WPGD.
          Last edited by NN2E; 06-16-2009, 03:09 AM.
          Your TV is on 24/7.
          Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Nitelites I've seen:

WJBK 2+: Standard NAB bilingual loop, only with several seconds of a really large "FOX 2" logo at each finish.
            On saturday they toyed with it a little - for some time (didn't catch the beginning, but it ended about 1200 EDT) they had dead black video (but with interval bars) and a dead carrier on audio. They came back with the NAB loop, with a crawl supered over the video, warning to rescan their DTV sets or boxes, and be sure they are using an antenna that is for VHF and UHF. This crawl interfered with the subtitles built-in on the NAB loop, so, after some time, they moved their own crawl to the top.
            (WJBK closed their out-of-core channel 58 ATSC transmitter and signed on their new ATSC transmitter on channel 7, which had been vacated by the analog transmitter of WXYZ only three hours earlier. In doing so, they became the only Detroit market station to change their DTV channel, and the only VHF station in what had been a UHF-only DTV market.)
            As a sidenote, their channel 7 signal is more robust than I expected.

KPRC 2- (seen by Es): Standard NAB loop, with their logo in the form of a translucent gray "bug" in lower right (not very easy to see) and a narrow crawl, white letters on opaque black bar, at the top of the picture, messages that include the KPRC call.

WKYC 3z: Standard NAB loop, with a significant local break (silent, text only) featuring prominent WKYC logo, information on DTV walk-in help centers in Cleveland, and urging DTV/CECB users to rescan (WKYC DT moved from channel 2 to channel 17 - and may I say a booming signal, comparable to WEWS on 15, even a PEST. I wonder how many people in Toledo have had WTOL replaced outright with WKYC and are unable to figure out the problem).

WDIV 4z: Again, the standard NAB loop, but with a prominent, easy to see, logo in the upper right, and opaque. It is same "LOCAL 4" logo, a "4" in a red rhomboid, and "LOCAL" in small white letters on black at the top of the red rhomboid.''

WLMB 40 had a "nitelite" program of its own, on the last two days of what was really its licensed service (ending 2359 EDT 6-12), it had video from the NAB loop, with significant additions about reception of WLMB in particular (since WLMB transmits DTV on channel 5, some 30 miles west of all other Toledo stations). The amusing part was to see the CE chewing out the Apex converter box. He stated that the Apex had no provision to add any channels not found in a single search - meaning it would likely miss WLMB if it were set to scan all the other Toledo stations, and, demonstrated that the Apex box interfered with itself. He set up a demonstration, showing reception of WLMB with rabbit ears and an Insignia CECB and a TV set. He turned on an Apex CECB that was not attached to the set, and the reception of WLMB was immediately lost.
            (sidenote: I have also noticed CECB's produce RFI to the VHF lowband. I first noticed this when doing an experiment to manually tune DTV stations using a UHF converter. The usual culprit is the switching power supply. The best thing I have found for lowband VHF DTV with rabbit ears is the Sansonic box with kludged battery pack - the battery pack eliminates the RFI from the power supply, and the metal case contains much of the RFI from the processing chips).
            Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Comment

FCC List

Here's the ultimate page, but it's .pdf

http://www.fcc.gov/DA-09-1303A2.pdf

cd

Comment

CD, thanks for the link. Ed, KFVS used to be a favorite of mine. They had a particular ID back in the late 60's or early 70's and that slide just fascinated me for some reason. Their weather radar was good for that time, as was the radar at WPSD, and when I watched the weather from those two stations I usually could get a good idea what would be heading my direction. I remember KFVS used to advertise their tower was 2000 feet tall (I imagine that was HAAT) and their signal was anything but puny. I tried in vain for them last night with their new DTV signal on Channel 12. I still think a lot of DTV signals are not as robust as they should be - just my 2 cents.

Comment

In the Los Angeles market:

KCBS-2 (sorry East Coasters, you're gonna have to try hard for this): Running the generic NAB DVD 24/7, with alternating Spanish and English versions. No logo, and in an hour or so of passively watching, no IDs at all. Every few switches from Spanish to English they would mention a sponsor, some of them local. The only local hints I heard were brief mentions of California in the context of car dealers, for example: "DTV information brought to you by your Southern California Ford Dealers". Only one ad in the hour I watched had anything ID'able on the picture (attached) and there was another with an audio mention, but nothing local on the screen.

KNBC-4: Running the generic NAB DVD 24/7, with alternating Spanish and English versions. No logo. Approximately every other switch from Spanish to English they'd do a quick promo with an ID (attached), usually for their news or something of the sort.

KTLA-5: Running the generic NAB DVD 24/7, with alternating Spanish and English versions. A fairly good logo on the bottom right of the screen (attached). Didn't watch this for long enough to see what they ran in-between the DVDs, but a logo should be enough to ID it, I'd hope.

There's another UHF channel running nightlight but I can't get a good picture here, and it probably doesn't matter anyways.
                  Bryce Foster - K4NBF (formerly KG6VSW)
                  Hermitage, TN EM66
                  www.k4nbf.com

Tuners:
                  Elad FDM-S2 SDR
                  Sony XDR-F1HD

Antennas:
                  Innovanntenna 10 Element FM beam (primary) @35 ft
                  Winegard HD-6065 (phase) @25 ft with Bolin Phase Box
                  Tennadyne T2 V/UHF log periodic @ 30 ft

Comment

WCBS 2 New York
                    WNBC 4 New York
                    WNYW 5 New York

Check http://www.wtfda.org for a list of channels 2-6 sorted by channel and location.
                    Mike B.
                    Enfield, CT
                    -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
                    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
                    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Comment

nitelites so far

Ohers have well described WJBK-2 and KPRC-2. The superb tropo has permitted me to see a few that I didn't expect to.

WFMY-2 Greensboro, NC - a "shrunken" screen version of the 24/7 NAB DTV psa with their tiny logo on its lower right.

KTBS-3 Shreveport, LA - recognized by their large logo

KGBT-4 Harlingen, TX - from direction and offset, 24/7 NAB DTV bilingual psa

KDFW-4 Dallas, TX - from direction and offset, 24/7 NAB DTV bilingual psa

KRGV-5 Weslaco, TX - 24/7 NAB DTV bilingual psa, break between segments has prominent KRGV.com, a local spokesperson (GM ?), and list of area help centers and places to get CECB.

KXAS-5 Dallas, TX - from direction, 24/7 NAB DTV bilingual psa

Comment

Yes indeed.....this is nice. Too bad that my WPBT----I won't say it again.

cd

Comment

KDFW-4 DFW has a tiny one-line text ID supered at all times upper left

KOCO-5 OKC same type ID as KDFW

KXAS-5 DFW runs full-screen ID with logo between loop, but not every time

WFMY-2 Greensboro has small logo up at times in lower right one-third of screen

WUND-2 NC has UNCTV segment inserted into loop

KPHO-5 Phoenix is I think the station without any type of ID from the west
                          Danny
                          Shreveport, LA
                          Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
                          Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
                          TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
                          My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
                          More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

Comment

Just caught a WSIL 3 ID at the top of the hour...
                            Large "3", mid screen, with "WSIL-TV" at the top of the 3 and "WSIL-DT" at the bottom of the 3. Small ABC logo at lower right of the 3. The words "Harrisburg - Marion - Carbondale" centered under the 3, about midway between the 3 and the bottom of the screen.
                            Sorry I can't do pictures or video. I'm on dial-up. I'd be dead by the time I got it uploaded.
                            73, Ed NN2E
                            Last edited by NN2E; 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM.
                            Your TV is on 24/7.
                            Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Originally posted by NN2E View Post
                              Update 6-16-09...Antennanut tells me it's WPXX 50 z that is running the nightlight not WPGD.
                              He's right; WPGD analog is off.
                              Doug Smith W9WI
                              Pleasant View, TN EM66
                              http://www.w9wi.com

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Working...
                              X