•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CITO

Here is a new log...

3 CITO Timmins, ON @ 518 miles

I presume this is Timmins. There is a rare possibility it's Elliot Lake, but that is weaker.

IMG_6597.JPGIMG_6598.JPG

Timmins is also favoured over Elliott Lake because it's farther away from Akron (about 510 vs. 370 miles).

TV DX by sporadic-E is "happiest" at about 1,000 miles. Getting a signal from closer distances requires more intense Es.

This is where a radio that can tune in 10kHz steps would have been handy (61.26 would be Timmins, 61.25 Elliott Lake).

I do have to ask if the CTV newscast specifically mentioned Ontario. Two channel 3s out east are also CTV and are at ideal Es distance. In my experience, CTV on 3 has usually been Fredericton NB.

There's also CFQC-1 in Saskatchewan on the far side of the curve (1370 miles from Akron), but it's quite powerful.

Comment

Robert, I know this was CTV Northern Ontario because I have the names of two reporters I saw on the newscast. You can see one of them in the photo above... Lydia Chubak. A little Google research shows that she works for CTV Northern Ontario. I also noted on another video clip I captured of a reporter by the name of Claude Sharma.

This signal peaked aiming north. Unfortunately I don't have a radio that will precisely identify the offset. Maybe I'll get one in the future, but these Canadian analogs have their days numbered.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
        Robert, I know this was CTV Northern Ontario because I have the names of two reporters I saw on the newscast. You can see one of them in the photo above... Lydia Chubak. A little Google research shows that she works for CTV Northern Ontario. I also noted on another video clip I captured of a reporter by the name of Claude Sharma.

This signal peaked aiming north. Unfortunately I don't have a radio that will precisely identify the offset. Maybe I'll get one in the future, but these Canadian analogs have their days numbered.
        A great catch! My guess is that there is about a 92% probability it was Timmins leaving 8% probability it was Elliott Lake.

I had an unID on 4 with English language news yesterday myself. May have been Hearst, but, like you, I had no way of determining offset. My radio was missing (found it later in the car

Comment

Robert, could your channel 4 have been CKYB in Brandon, MB? That's the only channel 4 I had yesterday. Here is a video I uploaded of it... https://youtu.be/rXAWxOsZuYQ

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
            Robert, could your channel 4 have been CKYB in Brandon, MB? That's the only channel 4 I had yesterday. Here is a video I uploaded of it... https://youtu.be/rXAWxOsZuYQ

It's certainly could have been CKYB instead of Hearst.

What time was your CKYB?

My logging on 4 was at 2319Z (7:19 P.M.) June 7th.

I've had CKYB several times since WDIV analog left the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Grant View Post
              What time was your CKYB?
              I had CKYB basically all evening. It was strongest during the Dr. Phil show, but it hung on and made a resurgence even past 11 pm local time. Manitoba is 1 hour behind my time, and I remember watching their 6 pm news, which would've been my 7 pm hour (the same time you saw your channel 4).

Photo of newscast... FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Comment

CITO was logged again this evening. This time it was much stronger. Here are screenshots including one with a local Timmins ad.

CITO 7.jpgCITO 4.jpgCITO 5.jpgCITO 6.jpgCITO 1.jpg

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Working...
                X