Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (w)yessssssss!

It was raining lightly yesterday, so I assumed there was no DX. Wrong, wrong, wrong! I got a few new stations....Many still in this morning.

DT11 WYES New Orleans
    DT25 WFNA Gulf Shores AL
    DT26 WGNO New Orleans---75% at one point
    DT39 WLOX Biloxi MS
    DT42 No PSIP, Telemundo---can I safely say this is Hammond LA?

Pix to come.

cd

Great catches!

I have a KGLA 42 Hammond, LA. Telemundo in the log book, if that helps any, cd.

However....I think it had PSIP data the last time I saw it. I'm going from memory on this and my memory is not what it used to be. :-(

I'll bet Danny or Pat would know for sure.

Disclaimer: Once I've put a station in the log it instantly goes from a needed DX target to just another station that's in the way. I pay very little attention to a station's details after it's been logged.

73, Ed NN2E
    Last edited by NN2E; 04-18-2011, 12:33 PM.
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

My last catch of KLGA-DT-42 (Apr 9) had the call in their PSIP. It tends to be last one of the "regular" (WVUE, WDSU, etc) NOLA-area gang to decode.

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Comment

Thanks guys....I dunno who else the 42 coulda been.

BTW, I had a 30% signal on ch 8---coulda been Houston, but I won't know now, unless we have another super evening here.

Photos here.

cd

Comment

Hey Chris, no matter how you spell it, N.O. is a very nice catch for you out there. Whats that about 650+?
          mike
          TVDXing since 7/27/09

Comment

Mike, I figure 600. I always err on the side of less-miles!

You live close by....can you check the DT42 for PSIP? (I was hoping you'd chime in here!)

cd

Comment

KGLA-DT-42.1 RF 42 Hammond, LA. I would say thats the one! Every time N.O. comes in for me, that one is sure to be there.
              mike
              TVDXing since 7/27/09

Comment

Great DX, Christopher.
                Danny
                Shreveport, LA
                Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
                Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
                TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
                My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
                More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by cd637299 View Post
                  BTW, I had a 30% signal on ch 8---coulda been Houston, but I won't know now, unless we have another super evening here.
                  I assume WVUE-DT-8 is gone. I haven't seen them since last year, and they are not listed in RabbitEars.

Isn't it ironic that WVUE, KWTV OKC, WLBT Jackson, and others rushed to get off of VHF due to signal problems while our federal government is rushing to pass laws that would move DTVs to VHF? Well, I guess not...
                  Danny
                  Shreveport, LA
                  Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
                  Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
                  TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
                  My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
                  More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                    I assume WVUE-DT-8 is gone. I haven't seen them since last year, and they are not listed in RabbitEars.

Isn't it ironic that WVUE, KWTV OKC, WLBT Jackson, and others rushed to get off of VHF due to signal problems while our federal government is rushing to pass laws that would move DTVs to VHF? Well, I guess not...
                    As they say on the Web, "QFT". And yes, I saw no mention on w9wi or anywhere about DT8 in Nawlins anymore. I am sure if I saw DT11 I woulda seen 8. Aren't NO & Houston kinda close (even by DTV standards) to have co-channel? Edit.....no....I remember the co channel 4's in Port Arthur TX & N.O., and of course the two 8's in N.O. & Houston.

cd
                    Last edited by cd637299; 04-19-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I've always wondered the same thing about the Memphis and Nashville stations being kinda close together. I'll bet the people living halfway between WMC 5 and WTVF 5 have a heck of a time with those two wiping each other out. It happens here, more often than you'd think, even though I'm 100 miles from Nashville and 140 miles from Memphis.

I'd think there'd also trouble with...

Memphis... WDNM-LD 21, WTWV 23, W50EA-D 50
                      Nashville... WUXP 21, WNAB 23, WTVF-LD 50

...but I'm sure the FCC knows what it's doing...... LOL!

73, Ed NN2E
                      Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
                      Last edited by NN2E; 04-19-2011, 06:33 PM.
                      Your TV is on 24/7.
                      Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Ed, speaking from memory (which is dangerous for me), WTVF has been approved to move to channel 25 - the same channel as WPTY Memphis. If my feeble memory is indeed correct, here is yet another Memphis-Nashville conflict. There are several other stations on 25 that this relocation by WTVF will wipe out for me. Yeah, the FCC knows what it is doing all right...just like all of the blasted translators they have allowed to pop up on FM.

Whoops, sorry my negativity got the better of me...

Comment

Ask a KARZ or KYTV viewer in Marshall AR..., also ask a KARK or WABG viewer in Gould AR. Too many stations are too short spaced. I often see it on RF 32 when pointed E-SE, two signals clashing and nothing but a "No Signal" graphic until activating the SS meter.

Comment

Just checked the FCC site and I see a couple of applications for WTVF...

One, to run a megawatt on ch 25, and the other, to run 100 KW on ch 50.

The FCC won't be happy until the entire RF spectrum has been turned into one giant CB band, so jammed full of RF it's practically useless.

73, Ed NN2E
                            Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
                            Your TV is on 24/7.
                            Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

WTVF should drop Channel 50 entirely if they move to 25. They have a simulcast on Channel 50 to assist those viewers in Metro Nashville primarily with indoor antennas that had difficulty pulling them in on Channel 5. Once they move to 25, those viewers should have easier access to their signal. And here we have an example of viewers that have trouble pulling in a station on low VHF, where the FCC wants more stations to move. In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, "Good Grief".

Speaking of co-channel interference, I remember back in the late 60's visiting a town in West Tennessee that was about halfway between Memphis and Nashville. Wow, was there ever a nice analog signal fight on channel 5 between WMC and WTVF (then known as WLAC-TV)! I was 10 or 11 years old and this visit really piqued my interest in DXing.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Working...
                              X