Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good long April Lyrids Ms burst

Managed this one on a portable (Sangean ATS909) with just the whip. I always record on these radios during strong Ms showers and also for Es ... these are great portables. In fact I've had my farthest westwards Es catch on one (Calgary 98.5). This is heard April 23 1331 EDT @ Burnt River ON.
    Attached Files
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Wow, nice and long, and an ID!
    2010 Honda Fit stock radio.
    Grundig G8 ultralight .
    Grundig G3

Comment

Thanks, DX Grrl. Some bursts last a fraction of that, a second or two at best, and yield a good solid set of call letters or other clues. I've had other bursts last longer and yield nothing. I record using an MP3 recorder and feed the lot into Audacity, then check for sudden signal spikes. The only live-listening for Ms that I do is when taking a weekend midday nap. Live DXing of Ms - listening to static or dead air waiting for bursts is like listening to paint dry, and a recording is really a must because one couldn't really be ready to accurately jot down sudden info like phone numbers or slogans. With Audacity I can go through 10 hours of a channel recording in about 10 minutes, longer of course if there's goodies to be had.
      Saul Chernos
      Burnt River ON

Comment

Here's a Ms burst longer than 3 minutes that made my jaw drop. May 7 94.5 starting at 0911 EDT. Various bits of talk re ND (KQDY Bismarck) morphs into "the Sheri & Woody Morning Show on Jack 94-5" and an ad for something in Moose Jaw (Jack is CKCK Regina SK). The clip lasts 3+ minutes and it was very weak trailing off and even after the clip ends wee bits resurfaced a bit with Sheri's voice. Not the longest burst I've had, but pretty close. And not often do I get such generous info to ID two stations. This behaved and sounded more like weak Es, but the sudden start is telltale Ms, and there were no skip reports at the time (and none observed here).
        Attached Files
        Saul Chernos
        Burnt River ON

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
        Working...
        X