Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Perseids activity today, several new - 8/12/2021

Five new stations today (one Tropo) from a nice two-hour session of listening for meteor scatter at the peak of the Perseids shower, what I call the 'last hurrah' of the FM DX season. It takes a lot of patience and open channels to work Ms, just because they pop up briefly and unexpectedly, then within seconds are gone for good.

11:35AM - 98.9 KSOL San Francisco, CA; with Regional Mexican music that matched stream. NEW #928, 6.1KW at 646 miles.
    11:35AM - 98.1 KISQ San Francisco, CA; quickly moved over here to find a Richard Marx song, strong signal, then gone. Was able to match the playlist on the iHeart site. Relog (both Ms and Es), 75KW at 640 miles.
    11:37AM - 93.1 CJXX Grande Prairie, AB: big signal with reference to the city of Valleyview and the Northwest Funeral Home. Burst lasted close to 30 seconds. Relog, 100KW at 590 miles.
    11:38AM - NOT METEOR SCATTER - 99.9 KRKT Albany, OR; tropo scatter, with Keith Urban/Pink 'One Too Many' // stream, mixed with a weak KXLY-FM Spokane. Relog, 100KW at 210 miles.
    11:43AM - NOT METEOR SCATTER - 103.7 K279AK Granger, WA; tropo / groundwave, this station repeating KAWZ is back online after about 5 years off the air. Religious sermon // local 91.5 translator. NEW #929, 190W at 53 miles. KHTP Tacoma was mixed in there at times along with Ms bursts, but I didn't ID anything here (or on nearby 103.9).
    11:58AM - 92.7 KGFX-FM Pierre, SD; with Jason DeRulo song // stream. Car was pointed east for this log compared to the others pointed south. Classic rock on 93.1 at the same time was likely KGCX Sidney MT (unneeded), so I tried KGFX for 92.7...matched! NEW #930, 50KW at 989 miles.
    Took a break, then

1:15PM - 98.1 KISQ San Francisco again; with 'Say Something' by A Great Big World, a great-big 45-second burn (at least!) In addition, religious teaching was in there, likely KVIP-FM Redding CA (needed).
    1:17PM - 105.5 KJWL San Joaquin, CA; with 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' by Bonnie Tyler // stream. Based on San Francisco two minutes prior (this was a completely different burst), KJWL was my first thought, and indeed it was. NEW #931, 25KW at 718 miles.
    1:25PM - 101.5 CHFA-6 Fort McMurray, AB; with SRC Premiere programming, man talking in French. Burst lasted about 30 seconds. This is now my farthest-north FM log, at 56.7N latitude! NEW #932, 20KW at 778 miles.

No audio, I don't usually record meteor scatter unless it's unattended overnight. But it was nice to be out getting meteor bursts - albeit way too hot outside. No meteors to be seen - smoke came back from wildfires. So the action is all on FM ;-)
    FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Fantastic.

I just don’t get it....in more ways than one. If I get any Ms at my latitude, it’s like brief 0.5 to 2-second blips; and some sound distorted, almost SSB-like.

My ID’d Ms total is around 20, but that over a period of almost 30 years!

I admit—I likely won’t get another PC until 2022...it via the Total Recorder program that I was able to bag maybe about half of the catches.

Is there a decent “mobile device” program similar to Total Recorder, where I can just lay down the phone (or even connect it to the receiver) where I can read the blips over a period of hours? The Voice Memo app is nice, but the “EKG” is too thick to make out.

cd

Comment

Fantastic.

I just don’t get it....in more ways than one. If I get any Ms at my latitude, it’s like brief 0.5 to 2-second blips; and some sound distorted, almost SSB-like.

My ID’d Ms total is around 20, but that over a period of almost 30 years!

I admit—I likely won’t get another PC until 2022...it via the Total Recorder program that I was able to bag maybe about half of the catches.

Is there a decent “mobile device” program similar to Total Recorder, where I can just lay down the phone (or even connect it to the receiver) where I can read the blips over a period of hours? The Voice Memo app is nice, but the “EKG” is too thick to make out.

cd

Comment

Audacity? But on my computer it takes several minutes to upload an overnight file and often freezes up...your results may vary. I've used Audacity in the past for Ms overnight.
        FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
        Working...
        X