Status of the Digital TV transition in Central America

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received an email reply this afternoon, from the Global Public Relations Manager of Silicon Labs. It reads like this....

Hi Jim,

I learned from the general manager of our broadcast IC business (which includes our TV tuners) that because we do not have any direct-to-consumer business, we are not able to provide the details you are requesting about set-top-boxes containing our silicon tuners. Furthermore, while most tuners are multi-standard, we are not aware of any true multi-standard set-top boxes available in the US due to the extra costs involved in producing them.

I hope this general feedback is helpful.

Best regards,
    Dale

Dale Weisman
    Global Public Relations Manager
    Silicon Labs

Mobile +1 512-743-6240
    Office +1 512-532-5871

400 W. Cesar Chavez, Austin, TX 78701 USA

So the question remains - does anyone know how to locate manufacturers of NEW terrestrial O-T-A digital televisions or set-top-boxes? They started making those tuner chips in 2015, so this would be very new product, whether it is from US, Japan, China???
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
    Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
    Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

I located a DTMB set-top-box on the DH Gate wholesale company website, which is located in China...
      http://www.dhgate.com/product/tsingh...arl|2075157193
      Jim Thomas
      Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
      Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
      Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Last edited by fm_dxer; 07-04-2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Reading the Gelect HD-HL1209 manual in Lacetel website (http://www.lacetel.cu/Manual%20de%20..._HD-HL1209.pdf , content in Spanish), I could read the converter box specs. Basically they will use channels 7-51, and the other thing Lacetel recalls is the bandwidth of the channels (6 MHz DTMB).

So basically the Tsinghwa STB will not work properly for Cuba: http://www.tele-audiovision.com/TELE...p/tsinghwa.pdf. Bandwidth is not specified for that STB, so unless it can be set the bandwidth of the channels, it doesn't support 6 MHz bandwidth.

Comment

Wow---with Cuba, it really *is* getting political! This sure is not easy.

cd

Comment

Television standards choice has always been a somewhat political beast anyway...
              Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

Just ask the two Koreas....

cd

Comment

Cuba is still following our lead by cutting the UHF band to channel 51. Maybe they should get ahead of the game and cut it to 36 now. :/

Comment

Costa Rica still has some analog TV stations. I can't find a good source on this, but Wikipedia says that it will be shut down in December 2018, not 17. And I was just in Costa Rica, and I was picking up audio of channel 6 on 87.7 FM, so that one's still there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...ion#Americas_2

Comment

Originally posted by amason1968 View Post
                      Costa Rica still has some analog TV stations. I can't find a good source on this, but Wikipedia says that it will be shut down in December 2018, not 17. And I was just in Costa Rica, and I was picking up audio of channel 6 on 87.7 FM, so that one's still there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...ion#Americas_2
                      Late 2019.

It was delayed again because there was concern that an analog shutoff could leave voters in the presidential elections that happened this year uninformed, and speaking of uninformed, people didn't know a lot about digital TV according to a survey conducted.

Natural disasters, such as Hurricane Otto from 2016 and Hurricane Nate last year, were also a factor. Both storms' names were retired. Nate was the costliest natural disaster in Costa Rican history, leaving more than half a billion US dollars in damage.
                      Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      Working...
                      X