No announcement yet.

The Mexico Beat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Due to the forum downtime, I wasn't able to post some materials from the last few days.

On December 13, I was able to snag an exclusive interview with SPR president Jenaro Villamil about the concession surrenders mentioned above. He talked about the agency's shift in strategy and mentioned that the Coatzacoalcos FM is still being planned:

https://medium.com/en-frecuencia/hab...l-766a322a7450

I also put out a weekly roundup of some smaller stories on Friday:

https://medium.com/en-frecuencia/en-...3-33fd443e76ba

In addition, I'm uploading some of the archive content on the weekends, and my reference section is pretty much complete at this point.
    Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

• Some News about Radio Topic

*** Starting In Puebla, the state congress approved the new name wich it'll take the state comunications office. This will be named as "Sistema Estatal de Telecomunicaciones". This switch will take as principal objective to return the social functions allowing to all people in Puebla to get acces to the information trougth the use of the state telecommunications network.

Currently Puebla TV is broadcasting on Channel 26 on open television and has eight broadcasters in the state, in the municipalities of Acatlán, Huauchinango, Izúcar de Matamoros, Libres, Puebla, Tehuacán, Teziutlán and Zacatlán. We have to remember that this Group of the state of Puebla was founded at the beginning of the year 2000 under the name of "Sistema de Informática y Comunicaciones" (SICOM). In 2011 it changed its name to "Televisión, Radio y Tecnologías Digitales", although on the last day of 2012 it changed its name to "Puebla Comunicaciones".

*** Coming from CDMX, since the beginning of this month, Grupo Siete Comunicacion has flipped the XEITE 830 AM from "Quiereme" format to "Ondas de Paz". This new format is an agreement in wich Grupo siete is selling the totality of the air programming rigths to the Voz de Paz A.R. who are offering religious content in this frecuency.
      Last edited by f_santosp; 12-19-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• The Matchmaker
        Grupo ACIR readies a Mickey-free relaunch of its pop stations

A story by Ray Zubiri in 24 Horas Puebla on December 8 broke a story that had not emerged in the media up to that point: that Disney and Grupo ACIR were breaking up, and ACIR was preparing to relaunch its pop stations that had been Radio Disney under a new brand in 2020. Furthermore, Grupo ORO’s XHECD-FM 92.9 was rumored as the new home of Radio Disney in Puebla.

Zubiri says that the partnership with Disney, which launched in the summer of 2013 and came to supplant Digital as ACIR’s pop brand, was not sitting well at Montes Pirineos because Disney came out better than ACIR at the end of the day.

It was not certain at the time whether this was a national or local move, though knowing ACIR, the former seemed likely. El Boy cleared that up on the 17th.

Now, we’re getting a look at the post-Disney era of ACIR pop radio, which will begin at noon on January 7, 2020, on 10 ACIR stations. It’s called Match (matchmx.fm), and you’ll be able to hear it on these stations:
        • XHPOP-FM 99.3 Mexico City
        • XHCIA-FM 91.7 Colima
        • XHCNA-FM 100.1 Culiacán
        • XHEMIA-FM 90.3 Guadalajara
        • XHFEM-FM 99.5 Hermosillo
        • XHPQ-FM 97.5 León
        • XHMAT-FM 99.5 Mazatlán
        • XHMO-FM 93.9 Morelia
        • XHRS-FM 90.1 Puebla
        • XHME-FM 89.5 Puerto Vallarta
        Notably, a couple of the ex-Disney stations aren’t staying in the format. One is XHOK-FM 90.9 in Monterrey, Grupo ACIR’s lone station in town, which joins the company’s Amor network — in fact, you can already find it as Amor 90.9 on iHeartRadio. Amor is without a doubt ACIR’s lead offering in most of its cities. Unlike in Guadalajara, where ACIR already had an FM to work with when it built its second-wave FM station, XHOK is all they have.

The other is XHMAR-FM 98.5 in Acapulco. It’s clearly going somewhere different: it’s listed as English pop by iHeartRadio with this very temporary logo. It’s worth noting that when these stations were Radio Disney, they were the only ACIR stations not on iHeart: [IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/0*PldJFV01JLW67QqT[/IMG]The new logo, for now, of XHMAR-FM 98.5 in Acapulco
        Match also lit up its Twitter account @MatchMxFM at midnight.

The question now: will Match incentivize former Radio Disney listeners to swipe right, particularly in markets where Disney returns on a competing station if they go that route?
        Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

• Just to close the loop... I put up a number of new pieces in the last week or so.

One is my first Spanish longform piece, which I had held back until I got confirmation. A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to me on December 24 that the IFT will award a concession to José Pérez Ramírez for XHDGM-FM 98.9 Playa del Carmen, so I was able to publish in its entirety "XHDGM, La Saga de Dos Décadas", covering the tortuous 19-year-long legal fight that Pérez has led to win a station from a bidding window where nobody got anything.

I also put out two specials on new religious radio stations.

In Vida from Tucson to Obregón, I looked at the new XHCSAE-FM 100.1 in Ciudad Obregón, which hit the air seven months before getting the IFT green light as a pirate using its final frequency and call letters. This Radio Vida is linked to Hermosillo's pirate 105.7 as well as KEVT 1210 AM in Tucson and several applications from the 2019 PABF.

More serious was Felon in America, Station Owner in Mexico, a profile of Elsa Cuéllar (XHCSAF-FM 91.3 Tampico) and a look into the lack of provisions preventing those convicted of violent crimes in Mexico from obtaining concessions. Cuéllar is a convicted felon twice over, the first time stemming from a guilty plea in a kidnapping/murder case from the late 1990s (she was released from her 10-year probation sentence after 3 years) and the second time for forging government documents in 2013 (still on probation); she would not be eligible for a radio station license in the United States.

The last stories of 2019 were my year-ender, titled "Warning Signs", and "Eventful", a look back at the 2010s in Mexican broadcasting and their historical context.

With that, my simulcasting period has concluded (it wasn't a year, though much of this was on my mind throughout 2019), and I close the book on an important chapter: my time writing for the WTFDA Forums. As I said earlier, I'm grateful to the WTFDA Board and forum team for letting me start this here and stay here for more than five years. Here, I grew from an of-the-moment analog shutoff service to a new and aggressive source of industry journalism breaking real stories with serious consequences. I helped, and will continue to help, DXers with their Mexican and Latin American queries. And I learned a lot about Mexican broadcasting. A lot.

I invite you to follow me on Medium and Twitter. You can get notifications so you never miss an En Frecuencia story, and the Twitter account also has other features and short items in Spanish. Plus, the blog has reference features that you've come to know, like maps and the Article 90 clear list.

Thank you for letting me write the first chapter, and I humbly ask that you follow me in the next phase of this informational project.

Comment

• WOW! I don't pop in here much anymore, but was surprised and a bit saddened by the ending of Mexico Beat. Raymie I've read many, many of your posts. I remember when you first came here. You've put in a ton of hours into this project. Kudos to you for all the hard work. Reminds me of another guy that put a big part of his life into this place. That would be you Danny! :-) Two of the biggest contributors ever.
            mike
            TVDXing since 7/27/09

Comment

• Originally posted by mp11 View Post
              WOW! I don't pop in here much anymore, but was surprised and a bit saddened by the ending of Mexico Beat. Raymie I've read many, many of your posts. I remember when you first came here. You've put in a ton of hours into this project. Kudos to you for all the hard work. Reminds me of another guy that put a big part of his life into this place. That would be you Danny! :-) Two of the biggest contributors ever.
              In case my post didn't make it clear... I just decided to move it off the forum (and to adopt the En Frecuencia name from the Twitter account). Making these links big so they get seen...

The En Frecuencia blog contains my longform writing, which remains mostly in English.

@EnFrecuencia on Twitter has smaller and faster stories, but is almost entirely in Spanish.

The blog is updated regularly and features longform and deep-dive features on Mexican broadcasting. Perhaps my favorite of the new year so far is this one, where I uncovered how the IFT moved mountains to approve a new indigenous radio station with a presidential connection. I suspect the technically minded in here will appreciate a feature on short-spaced FM radio stations, in which the IFT awards the same frequency 10 km apart to two Class As (and has to rectify the error).

The Twitter has faster items and typically gets at least one tweet a day (I also post all new blog posts to it). For instance, today I talked about XHPEAA-FM 94.7, the new religious radio station in Ciudad Valles, San Luis Potosí and the return of Radio Capital to 830 AM Mexico City. You'll also find same-day analysis of new IFT Pleno meeting agendas and news bites from the courts.

In less than 10 months of operation, @EnFrecuencia already has more than 500 followers, from enthusiasts to air personalities to executives and regulators. I'm excited about the larger reach I've had since activating the Twitter and Medium blogs.

Comment

Working...
              X