Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! My New Rotor Stopped Turning

Hi everyone. A new RCA rotor that I had installed just five weeks ago has stopped turning today. Any time I try to turn it, all my antenna does is "shudder in place" until the rotor (motor) stops. It was working so well, and now is stuck pointed in an undesirable direction. Does my description give anyone ideas about what could be wrong? It was raining, so could it be a short? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by w1bsm; 03-29-2020, 05:02 PM.

Sorry to say you are not the first to experience this. A few years ago I bought a similar rotor and the first time I had it rotate to north (000 degrees) it locked up. Luckily I didn't have it installed on a mast or tower, as I had it just off the ground testing it. I simply grabbed it and forced it to turn back (clockwise) until it was no longer locked in place. The plastic gears inside tend to stick/lock up so they are not very rugged nor dependable. Too bad this is the case as the older Channel Master rotors similar to the one I believe you have were made for years of service with metal gears. I'm guessing, but would bet that your issue is related to the cheap plastic gears.

I have since moved on to Yaesu rotors. Yes, they are more expensive, but they will last a lot longer and are much more accurate with azimuth readings once synced. Once I installed even the lower priced G-450A I have never regretted the extra dollars spent....well worth it.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, indysteve. Yes, ALL my rotors were plastic. Even so, I must have been lucky for the past 20 years. This is the first time a rotor has gotten stuck on me. Unfortunately, it's pointing almost due south, which seems random compared to getting stuck at 000 degrees like yours did. When you say you "grabbed it and forced it to turn back," I assume you twisted the mast by hand until the antenna direction matched your azimuth readout, correct? Is that safe to do to those cheap plastic gears? I also assume you needed to do that more than once before everything was in sync with the rotor again.

Originally posted by indysteve View Post
      I have since moved on to Yaesu rotors. Yes, they are more expensive, but they will last a lot longer and are much more accurate with azimuth readings once synced. Once I installed even the lower priced G-450A I have never regretted the extra dollars spent....well worth it.
      That would sound like a great upgrade in quality. Do you have to buy these rotors direct from Yaesu, or can they be bought at other places? Either way, I'll start checking the G-450A out tonight.

Comment

According to Channel Master, this one is supposed to have metal gears
        https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Ant.../cm-9521hd.htm

I asked them about that when the rotor first came out and that's what they said.
        Mike B.
        Enfield, CT
        -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
        FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
        mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Comment

Thanks Mike. My first Channel Master rotor lasted 13 years, so it must of had metal gears. Otherwise, it was mostly plastic. If I could get that kind of reliability from the CM-9521HD, I'll gladly pay the premium price tag. I'm having a Channel Master rep call me later today. Hopefully, he can fill me in on all the particulars.

I looked up the Yaesu G-450A on the internet last night. From the picture and specs, I'm not sure it can handle my large weighty TV antenna.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Working...
          X