Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of antenna do I need?

I've been DXing with portable radios for a few years now, but I'm looking at getting a RSPdx SDR. What kind of antenna do I need to get for it? I've got one of those tecsun active loops, but that won't really be enough, will it? My main focus is on the AM band.

For an SDR you'll need a broadband antenna. That means that any kind of a tuned or tuneable loop won't work, since the SDR isn't focused on tuning a single specific frequency. You can use a longwire, or a vertical, or an untuned loop. You should be able to search online for how to build one.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    all w APS9B @ 15'
    Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

If you're going to use the SDR mainly for AM DXing, a long wire, loop, etc would work fine, like Russ said. For my Elad I have an outdoor flag, with the posts 15 feet tall and separated by 45 feet. This is the only antenna I can use here because of noise. It's a very quiet antenna. Build a smaller loop, like a 10x20 or even a 10' square loop and use a ferrite ring where you connect your lead to the antenna itself. That alone will drive down the noise level greatly.
      Mike B.
      Enfield, CT
      -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
      FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
      mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
      Working...
      X