Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noaa WX reports on 33MHz

A brazilian ham station on the ICDX list has asked for help ID'ing a signal he recorded recently so I thought one of the experts on here would be able to help him. It's an automated weather service that he thinks could be from the Florida area but it's on 33MHz, there's a video of it here.

If anyone has anymore info about this station I'll pass it back to him via the other list, thanks.
    Paul.

I definitely hear New Smyrna Beach, which is in Florida halfway up the east coast of FL. There is also another reference to either Fort (or Port) Canaveral (?) that needs to be checked. Cape Canaveral is nearby but I don't know how Fort (or Port) fits. But NOAA weather is on 162mhz, not 33.420.

I have the last CD from Police Call magazine that should list everything on 33.420. I'll have to find it and see what's there.

Have the fellow follow this thread.
    Last edited by Mike-CT; 04-23-2011, 11:38 AM.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Comment

Wow that's interesting! It sure is a NOAA station, but NOAA uses between 162.4 & 162.55 MHz. Here's the trouble: 4 Florida cities are mentioned, but even *that* will not narrow it down, because often on NOAA stations, there are "regional" forecasts that can cover the whole state. The cities I heard mentioned were Tampa, Orlando, Port Canaveral, and New Smyrna Beach.

Also, NOAA uses technology to where what you heard is not even a human voice....it's something digitized (obviously to save money). There are about 20 NOAA stations in Florida, but to pinpoint one, welllllllll, .......That's a shame. --cd

Comment

True, Chris. But I think 33.420 is probably listed for police or medical services although usually all that is around 33.500- 34.000. Something down there must be rebroadcasting NOAA weather. We need to find out what.
        Mike B.
        Enfield, CT
        -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
        FN31RX

mikesdx.com

Comment

Well, look at this!

Police call came up with nothing except three 33.440 in Georgia

BUT... did a search and found....

TvFm Log Entries

... of Orlando's Office of Emergency Management broadcasts continuous weather info on 33.420 MHz de AC7XP (mail.ci.paradise-valley.az.us 63.230.242.106) ...
          dxworld.com/tvfmlookback.php - Cached

Hope this helps!
          Mike B.
          Enfield, CT
          -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
          FN31RX

mikesdx.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-CT View Post
            True, Chris. But I think 33.420 is probably listed for police or medical services although usually all that is around 33.500- 34.000. Something down there must be rebroadcasting NOAA weather. We need to find out what.
            In the reverse sense lots of S American 2 way signals will be getting at lest into the southern US States.Brazil has lots of taxis in the 37-39 MHz and Chilean muzak signals in the 47-49 MHz range which have been received in Texas.

A reasonable quality scanner and a 35-40 MHz dipole(easy to make) or even a long wire type antenna will pull in the lower frequency signals.

This is what "Okie Sam" has received in Texas

https://sites.google.com/site/okiesa...vhf-low-band-1.

QTH: South Texas, EL09
            Receiver: Uniden BCD396T
            Antenna: 40 MHz dipole at 30 ft
            Software: ARC 396 auto-logging, auto-recording

Hugh

Comment

Excellent stuff Mike, thanks! I'll pass the info back via ICDX, it's one to store for F2 monitoring as well so I'll cc it into the VHFskip group.

Comment

No problem. This is one freq I'll be watching to see when Es is in from FL. It will be hard to miss the NOAA weather!
                Mike B.
                Enfield, CT
                -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
                FN31RX

mikesdx.com

Comment

Great sleuthing work, Mike-CT! What kind of radio uses 30-50? Not that I'd buy one, but just curious......

cd

Comment

Originally posted by cd637299 View Post
                    Great sleuthing work, Mike-CT! What kind of radio uses 30-50? Not that I'd buy one, but just curious......

cd
                    Just about any scanner will cover 30-50 MHz.There must be some secondhand ones your way now going very cheap.

I've used a one as part of my TVDX equipment for the past 30 years,an essential tool in my opinion.
                    As well as monitoring low Vhf 30 MHz and up for propagation pointers such as South American transmissions one can hear weak TVDX carriers long before they can be seen.Knowing that they are there and weak one can "pounce" on them once they've come up in strength for video,a bit more reliable than looking at a blank TV screen.Right now I'm listening to Cameroon 48.25 MHz which has just appeared on the TV but was there for some time at a very low level not strong enough for video.

Brazilian TEP is similar,it often"hangs around" very weakly on 55.25 way before visible on the screen,

Hugh

Comment

Guess what, Hugh.....check the "new to this game" thread....

cd

Comment

Well I guess I uploaded that list of FL 30-50 at the perfect time!
                        Mike B.
                        Enfield, CT
                        -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
                        FN31RX

mikesdx.com

Comment

Just thought I'd bring the thread back from the dead as I'm listening to this at the moment, transatlantic MUF is around 36MHz this afternoon.

Comment

Maybe this will help......

TVFM Skip Log!
                            Oct03 23:09 City of Orlando OEM NOAA wx broadcast on 33.42 MHZ peaking 20 over S9 today de AC7XP (mail.ci.paradise-valley.az.us 63.230.242.106)
                            dxworld.com/tvfmlog.html

Comment

No longer all those easy-to-ident 35-MHz US pagers that were so common into the UK in previous cycles http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/pagers.htm

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Working...
                              X