New FM Dx'er

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FM Dx'er

I'm new to all this. Located in Wallingford, CT. Need to find an antenna for FM, any ideas? Would like to mount it to my chimney with a rotor, so it can't be too big. Trying to get FM stations from NYC about 80 miles away. Interested in listening to quality FM music primarily.

Hi and welcome to our li'l corner of the world.

There *used to be* the Antennacraft FM6 (I still use it at home), but an affordable outdoor *directional* FM antenna is quite the hunt now.

Personally I would try to get a combo TV/FM antenna that covers all channels AND FM....but that would cost quite a bit more. If FM is all you want, this is quite affordable, and I actually take it on trips:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Terrest...QAAOSwiYFXHode

In action! (This isn't common at all, but gives you an idea)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLCJmJlD1SM

cd

Comment

Originally posted by Edosan View Post
      I'm new to all this. Located in Wallingford, CT. Need to find an antenna for FM, any ideas? Would like to mount it to my chimney with a rotor, so it can't be too big. Trying to get FM stations from NYC about 80 miles away. Interested in listening to quality FM music primarily.
      Hi! I am north of Hartford about 10 miles NE of BDL. Almost all NYC freqs are blocked by either IBOC or translators/LPFMs. Down in Wallingford the situation is about the same. 92.3, 92.7, 95.5, 95.9, 96.3, 96.7 are blocked by IBOC, as well are 100.3, 100.7, 101.1, 101.5, 101.9, 102.3, 102.7, 103.1, 104.3. You might have a shot for Spanish on 93.1 (assuming WHYN doesn't interfere), country on 94.7 (assuming WMAS doesn't), Spanish on 97.9 as long as ESPN in Hartford doesn't interfere. Also 105.1 R&B should make it as well as 106.7 Lite FM. 107.5 in now blocked by the LPFM in New Haven (Spanish). As far as "quality music" in NYC, as you describe it, I wouldn't call any radio fomat in NYC "quality" anymore.

There aren't any decent FM antennas around anymore unless you buy one of those pricey InnovAntenna models and pay to have them shipped to the US from Europe. Somebody makes a four element yagi that you can find online. I forget who but that's about the best you can get commercially here.

Back before 2000 every NYC channel was open. Then HD came on and wiped out most of them. The translators and LPFMs took out the rest.
      Mike B.
      Enfield, CT
      -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
      FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
      mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Comment

Working...
      X