Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Mountain Home, Arkansas

Hello everyone,
    My name is Josh. I live in Mountain Home, Arkansas, which is a few miles south of the Missouri border, or about 70 air miles southeast of Springfield, Missouri. Some of you may know me as Josh EM36ui from the Tv/FM Skip Log.

I've been interested in radio since I was very small, but I didn't encounter DX until around 2001 or 2002 at the age of 10. I remember my mom driving me to school one morning and hearing Nashville stations on the radio. I was fascinated by it and started paying closer attention. I also remember hearing a country station from Florida via what I now know was Es. If memory serves, it was on 102.1. My first real exposure to Es was in June 2003. I had stations from South Florida booming in for several hours on an Emerson stereo system with just the wire antenna. I was shocked that stations from so far away could come in with such strength at times. We moved at the end of 2003 and DXing sort of fell by the wayside.

I started DXing seriously in October 2014. I began with a Tecsun CR-1100 connected to an FM-6 at 30 feet. For my current setup, I'm using the 17 element beam from Innovantennas hooked up to an Airspy-R2. During deadband conditions, I can usually hear Memphis at around 160 miles, St. Louis at 190 miles, and Tulsa at 210 miles. Troposcatter commonly brings in Northern LA, Northern MO, Southern IA, and Central IL. I have a bit more difficulty catching tropo to the northwest since most of the local towers are that way.

Anyway, it's great to be here and I look forward to chatting with you guys.
    Josh Moore - KG5JEL
    Mountain Home, Arkansas (EM36ui)
    Receivers:
    AirSpy-R2 (primary)
    Tecsun PL-880 (secondary and travel radio)
    Antenna:
    Innovantennas 17 element beam at 30 feet

Welcome. Seeing where you're from, I send you here:

http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.p...-Strikes-Again

The audio link is gone, due to a 2012 malware issue here on the Forums. I do have the audio on one of my 200 or so cassettes. Once I find it, I plan to upload.

cd

Comment

That's awesome! WXL66 actually covers Baxter County, where I live. I'd definitely be interested in hearing the audio if you find it. At only 1 kW, that's a great catch if it was tropo.
      Josh Moore - KG5JEL
      Receivers:
      AirSpy-R2 (primary)
      Antenna:

Comment

Welcome Josh,
        Congratulations on your DX equipment and "dead" band scan results. I live in SC now and TV DX, but when I lived in Colorado I once heard AR on tropo (KY also once and IL several times) so the reverse is possible, too, longing CO on tropo from AR. Good luck and look forward to your reports.
        Doug Allen K4LY
        EM85wb
        Inman, SC

Comment

Welcome Josh.
          I live halfway between Siloam Springs, Arkansas and Springdale, Arkansas. 11 miles east of Oklahoma and 22 miles south of Missouri.

Kegan
          My YouTube channel:
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVG...VmF1EPlrZkiGAg

Comment

Welcome Josh! I live in Springfield, Missouri and I think I've exchanged a few messages with you over on the TV/FM Skip Log. There are a handful of FM & TV dxers around the Springfield area. Glad to have you on-board.
            Jim Thomas
            Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
            Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
            Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Welcome Josh! There is a J.M. who sent in his WTFDA dues a few days ago and I'm assuming he was you. Welcome!
              Mike B.
              Enfield, CT
              -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
              FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
              mikesdx.com

Comment

Yep, that was me. Thanks Mike.
                Josh Moore - KG5JEL
                Receivers:
                AirSpy-R2 (primary)
                Antenna:

Comment

Working...
                X