Hello from WV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from WV

Wanted to say hello and introduce myself, I'm out in the WV eastern panhandle area. I have been interested in radio DX since I was a kid and would climb on my parents roof for better reception, but have been inactive for a long time.

I recently was inspired to start in the hobby again after an experience I had listening to my little portable radio at work. I was listening to a local 98.3 station (about 40 miles in Stephens City, VA). When I moved the radio across my desk I noticed the station changed for a second. I found if I held everything just right I could get another station on the same frequency.

After a the Carrie Underwood song finished they gave their callout, 98.3 KXGT, Thunder Country. A station all the way out in ND!

If my headphone antenna was able to pick that up, I want to see what other stations I can get with a real antenna.

Will probably wind up building a yagi, but would also be open to other directional designs if you guys have a proven setup.

Welcome to the WTFDA Forums! It appears that you got a little taste of E skip on your portable. Just a little taste is enough to get you hooked on the hobby! Have fun!
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Comment

Welcome Jensen567! I hope you enjoy your time hanging out here and don't be afraid to ask questions.
      Jim Thomas
      Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
      Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
      Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will probably post up some of my antenna designs at some point also. I think I have found some clever ways to adapt pumbing parts into some nice modular antennas with quick-swap element lengths, loading coil options, etc.

For now they are RX only, as I integrate a small balun and bias-tee fed LNA into the center section, but that could be modified to remove the LNA and beef up the balun to handle more power if TX was desired.

Comment

Working...
        X