Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jensen567
    replied
    Thanks guys. I will probably post up some of my antenna designs at some point also. I think I have found some clever ways to adapt pumbing parts into some nice modular antennas with quick-swap element lengths, loading coil options, etc.

For now they are RX only, as I integrate a small balun and bias-tee fed LNA into the center section, but that could be modified to remove the LNA and beef up the balun to handle more power if TX was desired.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Thomas
    replied
    Welcome Jensen567! I hope you enjoy your time hanging out here and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Leave a comment:

• Mike-CT
    replied
    Welcome to the WTFDA Forums! It appears that you got a little taste of E skip on your portable. Just a little taste is enough to get you hooked on the hobby! Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• Jensen567
    started a topic Hello from WV

Hello from WV

Wanted to say hello and introduce myself, I'm out in the WV eastern panhandle area. I have been interested in radio DX since I was a kid and would climb on my parents roof for better reception, but have been inactive for a long time.

I recently was inspired to start in the hobby again after an experience I had listening to my little portable radio at work. I was listening to a local 98.3 station (about 40 miles in Stephens City, VA). When I moved the radio across my desk I noticed the station changed for a second. I found if I held everything just right I could get another station on the same frequency.

After a the Carrie Underwood song finished they gave their callout, 98.3 KXGT, Thunder Country. A station all the way out in ND!

If my headphone antenna was able to pick that up, I want to see what other stations I can get with a real antenna.

Will probably wind up building a yagi, but would also be open to other directional designs if you guys have a proven setup.
Working...
X