New guy hailing from NWFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cd637299 View Post

That’s a joke in DX circles. Armstrong = turning the mast with your strong arms.

I use the Armstrong method myself. Wear and tear (i.e., my age) is taking its toll on them thar things!

cd
    Oof... I got had. Over the head it went.

Yeah... thats how i intend to get started. I did however see a nice antenna rotator online I intend to acquire when funds are right.

Comment

Originally posted by cd637299 View Post

That’s a joke in DX circles. Armstrong = turning the mast with your strong arms.

I use the Armstrong method myself. Wear and tear (i.e., my age) is taking its toll on them thar things!

cd
      My Armstrong rotor has a case of tennis elbow and isn't turning very far or very fast.

Comment

Got the Yagi assembled. I'm gonna mount and hook it up in the morning. Probably do a local band scan.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Will and Welcome...

Lived all across the Panhandle from 1984 till my job brought to Atlanta in 2000. Lived in Ponce de Leon x2 , DeFuniak Springs x 2, Navarre and at Hurlbert Field. Worked in Radio in De Funiak Springs at WZEP AM 1460 from 1998-2000 and now work as a Radio Broadcast Meteorologist for The Weather Channel which I have done for 22 years. My forecast are now heard on 106.7 WKMX in Enterprise and 96.9 WDJR in Dothan(signal usually gets to the beach). Also do weather in Mobile and New Orleans. My radio interest started with shortwave then moved into AM, FM and TV DX. When I went on vacation during the spring, I brought along my Sony ICF-2010 and my RCA 7 Inch LCD TV and did some FM/TV-band scanning while I was in Venice, FL. We are headed to Panama City sometime next month and hope to do some FM-TV DXing while we stay for a few days on the beach near the Bay/Walton line. My family lives down there but up along the I-10 corridor.

I would like to encourage you to contribute to the FM spots program on Rabbit Ears. Get yourself an SDR Dongle and contribute your FM-Band Scan data to the site on Rabbit ears. With the SDR and a computer program provided by KB8U it uses SDR# or SDR Console and scans the FM band. When it gets an RDS lock it sends the data to the Rabbit Ears site and maps it. A great way to see what you can grab when your away from the radio, or asleep or anything. You can see my site along with others on https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/fm_all_tuners.

There is a past post on getting set up at https://forums.wtfda.org/forum/wtfda-dx-talk/dx-equipment/91438-automated-fm-band-scan-reporter-and-web-site

Welcome to the club and its always nice to see someone from back home in the group

Richard

Comment

I intend to SDR it like the big boys at some point... but I'm newbie level at the moment so I'm starting with the basics.

And I listen to 96.9 and 103.9 out of Dothan regularly (I live in Fountain so they come in pretty clear.) Cool to say when I hear the forcasts i can now say I know that guy.

When you come down... I'd love to meet up and learn some things.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard-(KG4EFQ) View Post
              Hello Will and Welcome...

Lived all across the Panhandle from 1984 till my job brought to Atlanta in 2000. Lived in Ponce de Leon x2 , DeFuniak Springs x 2, Navarre and at Hurlbert Field. Worked in Radio in De Funiak Springs at WZEP AM 1460 from 1998-2000 and now work as a Radio Broadcast Meteorologist for The Weather Channel which I have done for 22 years. My forecast are now heard on 106.7 WKMX in Enterprise and 96.9 WDJR in Dothan(signal usually gets to the beach). Also do weather in Mobile and New Orleans. My radio interest started with shortwave then moved into AM, FM and TV DX. When I went on vacation during the spring, I brought along my Sony ICF-2010 and my RCA 7 Inch LCD TV and did some FM/TV-band scanning while I was in Venice, FL. We are headed to Panama City sometime next month and hope to do some FM-TV DXing while we stay for a few days on the beach near the Bay/Walton line. My family lives down there but up along the I-10 corridor.

I would like to encourage you to contribute to the FM spots program on Rabbit Ears. Get yourself an SDR Dongle and contribute your FM-Band Scan data to the site on Rabbit ears. With the SDR and a computer program provided by KB8U it uses SDR# or SDR Console and scans the FM band. When it gets an RDS lock it sends the data to the Rabbit Ears site and maps it. A great way to see what you can grab when your away from the radio, or asleep or anything. You can see my site along with others on https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/fm_all_tuners.

There is a past post on getting set up at https://forums.wtfda.org/forum/wtfda-dx-talk/dx-equipment/91438-automated-fm-band-scan-reporter-and-web-site

Welcome to the club and its always nice to see someone from back home in the group

Richard
              Working up north of Dothan last few days. Was waiting for my shot to be that guy and get you on tape for the forum to hear. Finally caught it parked today.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X