Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antennanut
    replied
    As I recall, Randy was using a TV antenna for FM DXing in his attic due to living in a community with an HOA. The antenna was fixed in one position without being able to be rotated.

Leave a comment:

• crainbebo
    replied
    Welcome Will!
    Panama City Beach, and the whole FL panhandle, is a tropo DXer's paradise. Just ask Randy (KW4RZ) who now lives in Nevada, he spent a good number of years in nearby Fort Walton Beach and realized the potential of tropo. Sometimes you can get very strong signals from Houston, the Rio Grande Valley, and even Mexico. Other times it's Louisiana, or back east to Miami, Daytona Beach, and even Cuba. The Gulf is a mighty DX amplifier when the conditions are right.
    Check the William Hepburn maps often, which will predict when you might have a tropo adventure on your FM dial. In fact, strong tropo is expected on the panhandle on early Saturday morning.
    https://dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Leave a comment:

• FMDX_Will
    replied
    Originally posted by antennanut View Post
    Welcome! When I go to Panama City Beach, I have listened to Q105 in Tampa almost every night on a portable radio. Pensacola and Mobile are normal, too, on a portable. The saturation of low powered translators as well as IBOC splatter have provided challenges to the great reception possible years ago. Nonetheless, I think you'll find tropo to be a regular event down there.
    When I was doing the car thing in early adulthood I'd drive down to Mexico Beach because I knew it was a good distance from metro PC transmitters. ( except for 92.5, which is in st joe) Id regularly pick up Tampa... but it was 94.9 mostly. I also picked up a few Spanish stations i couldn't identify... and once a station out of Miami.

Leave a comment:

• cd637299
    replied
    Been to Panama City, and the drive eastward along US 98 is fantastic. I have done daytime AM DXing from Cape San Blas, not all that far a drive from PC. My audio should still be available, if you do a search on this site for San Blas.

FM DX should be great, especially with that Gulf path.

Nice to have you. A few months ago, my wife and I went to Salinas Park in Franklin County. Nice place.

cd

Leave a comment:

• antennanut
    replied
    Welcome! When I go to Panama City Beach, I have listened to Q105 in Tampa almost every night on a portable radio. Pensacola and Mobile are normal, too, on a portable. The saturation of low powered translators as well as IBOC splatter have provided challenges to the great reception possible years ago. Nonetheless, I think you'll find tropo to be a regular event down there.

Leave a comment:

• FMDX_Will
    started a topic New guy hailing from NWFL

New guy hailing from NWFL

Whats up everyone... names Will. I live in Panama City... which I hear due to the proximity to the gulf provides great e-skip.

I'm what you would call a novice DXer. A little backstory: when i was younger... circa late 90's... my parents were on a Friday night bowling league. I always had to go with them... sometimes I'd play the arcade... but most nights I'd sit in the car and listen to tunes. One night I was flipping around and incidentally stumbled on a station from Montgomery, AL ( 150 miles north). That fascinated the 11YO me. After I found myself flipping my home radio to see what I could come up with. There was one station in particular... 102.9 out of Columbus, GA... I could catch regularly. Later in my early adult years I wound find myself parking on the beach and seeing what I could come up with. Wife and kids happened so I strayed from all that.

Flash forward to 2021. I was diving down a YouTube video rabbit hole and stumbled across serious DXers picking up stations from 1000s of miles away. This intrigued me. I started doing research and that led me here. I'm literally a guy with an interest and a radio trying to learn the ends and outs of capturing far away signals. Any recommendations or suggestions are welcome and wanted. I signed up to become a member of the WTFDA as well. Look forward to being part of the community.
Working...
X