• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMDX_Will
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard-(KG4EFQ) View Post
    Hello Will and Welcome...

Lived all across the Panhandle from 1984 till my job brought to Atlanta in 2000. Lived in Ponce de Leon x2 , DeFuniak Springs x 2, Navarre and at Hurlbert Field. Worked in Radio in De Funiak Springs at WZEP AM 1460 from 1998-2000 and now work as a Radio Broadcast Meteorologist for The Weather Channel which I have done for 22 years. My forecast are now heard on 106.7 WKMX in Enterprise and 96.9 WDJR in Dothan(signal usually gets to the beach). Also do weather in Mobile and New Orleans. My radio interest started with shortwave then moved into AM, FM and TV DX. When I went on vacation during the spring, I brought along my Sony ICF-2010 and my RCA 7 Inch LCD TV and did some FM/TV-band scanning while I was in Venice, FL. We are headed to Panama City sometime next month and hope to do some FM-TV DXing while we stay for a few days on the beach near the Bay/Walton line. My family lives down there but up along the I-10 corridor.

I would like to encourage you to contribute to the FM spots program on Rabbit Ears. Get yourself an SDR Dongle and contribute your FM-Band Scan data to the site on Rabbit ears. With the SDR and a computer program provided by KB8U it uses SDR# or SDR Console and scans the FM band. When it gets an RDS lock it sends the data to the Rabbit Ears site and maps it. A great way to see what you can grab when your away from the radio, or asleep or anything. You can see my site along with others on https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/fm_all_tuners.

There is a past post on getting set up at https://forums.wtfda.org/forum/wtfda-dx-talk/dx-equipment/91438-automated-fm-band-scan-reporter-and-web-site

Welcome to the club and its always nice to see someone from back home in the group

Richard
    Working up north of Dothan last few days. Was waiting for my shot to be that guy and get you on tape for the forum to hear. Finally caught it parked today.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• FMDX_Will
    replied
    I intend to SDR it like the big boys at some point... but I'm newbie level at the moment so I'm starting with the basics.

And I listen to 96.9 and 103.9 out of Dothan regularly (I live in Fountain so they come in pretty clear.) Cool to say when I hear the forcasts i can now say I know that guy.

When you come down... I'd love to meet up and learn some things.

Leave a comment:

• Richard-(KG4EFQ)
    replied
    Hello Will and Welcome...

Lived all across the Panhandle from 1984 till my job brought to Atlanta in 2000. Lived in Ponce de Leon x2 , DeFuniak Springs x 2, Navarre and at Hurlbert Field. Worked in Radio in De Funiak Springs at WZEP AM 1460 from 1998-2000 and now work as a Radio Broadcast Meteorologist for The Weather Channel which I have done for 22 years. My forecast are now heard on 106.7 WKMX in Enterprise and 96.9 WDJR in Dothan(signal usually gets to the beach). Also do weather in Mobile and New Orleans. My radio interest started with shortwave then moved into AM, FM and TV DX. When I went on vacation during the spring, I brought along my Sony ICF-2010 and my RCA 7 Inch LCD TV and did some FM/TV-band scanning while I was in Venice, FL. We are headed to Panama City sometime next month and hope to do some FM-TV DXing while we stay for a few days on the beach near the Bay/Walton line. My family lives down there but up along the I-10 corridor.

I would like to encourage you to contribute to the FM spots program on Rabbit Ears. Get yourself an SDR Dongle and contribute your FM-Band Scan data to the site on Rabbit ears. With the SDR and a computer program provided by KB8U it uses SDR# or SDR Console and scans the FM band. When it gets an RDS lock it sends the data to the Rabbit Ears site and maps it. A great way to see what you can grab when your away from the radio, or asleep or anything. You can see my site along with others on https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/fm_all_tuners.

There is a past post on getting set up at https://forums.wtfda.org/forum/wtfda-dx-talk/dx-equipment/91438-automated-fm-band-scan-reporter-and-web-site

Welcome to the club and its always nice to see someone from back home in the group

Richard

Leave a comment:

• FMDX_Will
    replied
    Got the Yagi assembled. I'm gonna mount and hook it up in the morning. Probably do a local band scan.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• antennanut
    replied
    Originally posted by cd637299 View Post

That’s a joke in DX circles. Armstrong = turning the mast with your strong arms.

I use the Armstrong method myself. Wear and tear (i.e., my age) is taking its toll on them thar things!

cd
    My Armstrong rotor has a case of tennis elbow and isn't turning very far or very fast.

Leave a comment:

• FMDX_Will
    replied
    Originally posted by cd637299 View Post

That’s a joke in DX circles. Armstrong = turning the mast with your strong arms.

I use the Armstrong method myself. Wear and tear (i.e., my age) is taking its toll on them thar things!

cd
    Oof... I got had. Over the head it went.

Yeah... thats how i intend to get started. I did however see a nice antenna rotator online I intend to acquire when funds are right.

Leave a comment:

• cd637299
    replied
    Originally posted by FMDX_Will View Post

Send him my way... might have a customer.

cd

Leave a comment:

• FMDX_Will
    replied
    Originally posted by antennanut View Post
    Armstrong makes mighty fine rotors.
    Send him my way... might have a customer.

Leave a comment:

• antennanut
    replied
    Armstrong makes mighty fine rotors.

Leave a comment:

• KW4RZ
    replied
    Tommy, I used the 6 element yagi on a second tuner outside only 7 ft high it was Armstrong turned and it worked great except going in/out of the house all the time in the Florida summer! High Five Will, I may be back there soon. Will see. Price of fuel these days makes cross country travel with an RV rough on the pockets.

Leave a comment:

• antennanut
    replied
    Originally posted by KW4RZ View Post

My attic antenna was an 8 element LPA crafted from an old VHF TV antenna. I did have a rotor. It all worked great.
    Whoops, my recall wasn't exactly accurate since you had a rotor. Thanks for setting the record straight!

Tommy

Leave a comment:

• FMDX_Will
    replied
    Thanks for all those wonderful nuggets. Whenever your back this way... I'd love to buy you an adult beverage and pick your brain.

Leave a comment:

• KW4RZ
    replied
    Hi Will. You'll find the Gulf coast of Florida is a fascinating location for FM band DXing. Both tropospheric ducting and sporadic E. I used to live in Ft Walton Beach. Well, I still do but I'm currently travelling out west and situated in the middle of no-where Nevada. Before the better frequencies in Florida clogged up with translators and HD from Pensacola, DXing was fantastic . Panama City should be a better location. You are far enough from Tallahassee and Pensacola both. You'll find tropo across the Gulf to Mexico fairly often. Usually in the spring. Texas coastal will happen fairly often too. Inland Texas is even possible. South Florida and even Cuba occurred fairly frequently. The rare paths are to the north. Kentucky, Carolinas, Missouri, etc. The best resource is William Hepburn's tropo forecast maps. Signals crossing the orange, red and pink areas are an almost guarantee. Very accurate. Sporadic E season is winding down. Expect a few more minor openings through the month. Maybe 1 or two more big ones. This has been a great year for Es. 93.9 was my best DXing frequency there. It should be good also in Panama City with WMTM in south Georgia the primary pest.. 93.9 KMXR Corpus Christi is the tropo beacon.

Leave a comment:

• KW4RZ
    replied
    Originally posted by antennanut View Post
    As I recall, Randy was using a TV antenna for FM DXing in his attic due to living in a community with an HOA. The antenna was fixed in one position without being able to be rotated.
    My attic antenna was an 8 element LPA crafted from an old VHF TV antenna. I did have a rotor. It all worked great.

Leave a comment:

• FMDX_Will
    replied
    Originally posted by crainbebo View Post
    Welcome Will!
    Panama City Beach, and the whole FL panhandle, is a tropo DXer's paradise. Just ask Randy (KW4RZ) who now lives in Nevada, he spent a good number of years in nearby Fort Walton Beach and realized the potential of tropo. Sometimes you can get very strong signals from Houston, the Rio Grande Valley, and even Mexico. Other times it's Louisiana, or back east to Miami, Daytona Beach, and even Cuba. The Gulf is a mighty DX amplifier when the conditions are right.
    Check the William Hepburn maps often, which will predict when you might have a tropo adventure on your FM dial. In fact, strong tropo is expected on the panhandle on early Saturday morning.
    https://dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html
    That looks like an awesome resource... thank you. That was one of my biggest questions in all of this... When do you know when there's a good tropo going on. I'm not quite setup to play with the big boys yet but I might go out there with the radio I have and see what I can scoop up Saturday morning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X