Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member to WTFDA from Hampton Roads, VA

Hiya, my name is Casey.

I'm from Norfolk, Virginia and I'm a 17 year old DXer (I turn 18 in April of 2022). I'm the operator of many projects in both the SDR world and in the internet world.

I live in the Norfolk/Newport News/Virginia Beach radio markets and I can say, from the experience of living here since I was 5 years old, that this is a rather interesting place to live at. My parents and I are middle class, yet less than a block from us are low income projects houses. Sometimes, during the summer, we can hear cars screeching and gunshots coming from a few blocks away. There's never been any crime in my area, and I'm lucky to have good neighbors who watch out for intruders.

I joined WTFDA by a mere necessity of needing an area to report DX logs and communicate with other DXers. I have dealt with a slither of immaturity since May, and the lies I have told and the bull**** I have done, I'm looking to move away from it.

Some people may know me from other groups on Discord, but I'm slowly moving away from radio communities on Discord and moving to a more professional area, specifically WTFDA.

I purchased a membership the day I joined here due to the fact that I have been following this community for a while now and have decided to fully dedicate my time and effort to reporting my logs on here instead.

I don't own very much professional DX equipment other than a TV that supports digital/analog tv antennas, four RTL-SDRs and several antennas, as well as several receivers. I purchased a custom-made RTL-SDR from a seller on e-bay from North Carolina, that has a built-in fan on it, and I have been using that instead of my other three RTL-SDRs.

I own a Sangean HDR-14 and tend to DX from that more than any of my other equipment, as it has the best antenna I possess.

My favorite local station in this market is FM99, WNOR-FM Norfolk. It has the best morning show and my favorite music. I love with FFDP comes on, I always wind up turning the radio up to full blast whenever they play FFDP.

I'm hoping to get an Airspy Mini or the larger Airspy model for Christmas, but I'm not too sure what I'm getting for christmas, as well, it's a surprise. If I do wind up getting an Airspy, my DX operations will be increased significantly.

I do receive tropo of large distances regularly, such as the frequent stations I receive every major tropo event such as WFMZ, WRSF, WDSD, WWFG, WBOC, WDCH, WFPG, WERX, WKJX, WCXL, WMGV, and WTOP, among others. I have a rather stable dial, with few stations on the lower dial and space on the upper, middle and beginning of the dial.

During the 2021 e-skip season, I received several dx openings but due to my incompetence to actually caring about logging signals, this year, and the fact that I got started rather late with the correct equipment to receive e-skip, I only managed to log KCBI Dallas, KLOZ-FM Eldon and a few UnIDs, which I will be posting sometime towards the end of this year, on the unids section, to see if anybody can identify them.

I also live in the signal zone of a still operating FrankenFM, Streetz 87.7 and 102.1. They legal ID on 87.75 like a regular radio station, in fact, they didn't begin operating a digital TV signal until the day before yesterday. Somebody must've complained or something.

I hope that by me being an active member of WTFDA, I can redeem myself as a good member of the DXing community and turn my reputation around.

I look forward to replies to this post, and I hope for a good 2022 dxing season.

Welcome to the club! We wish more young people like you would join, because dxing is considered by others an age 50+ hobby. Not many people under 40 even listen to terrestrial AM/FM radio these days. As for me, I've been TV dxing since I was much younger than you. Back in the day (NTSC), I would receive some of the Norfolk area TV stations via tropo at least once every summer.
    TV DXing from Fairfield, Connecticut since 1977.

Comment

Hey Casey,
      Welcome to the WTFDA and the WTFDA forums. I have an Airspy Mini. It's pretty good and will cover 6 mhz of spectrum at max. It can overload a little, but less than the SDRPlay RSPs, in my opinion, especially if you aim right at a transmitter.

I don't know what happened in the past and it doesn't matter. Start fresh with a clean slate and go from there.
      Mike B.
      Enfield, CT
      -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
      FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
      mikesdx.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaseyK9 View Post
        I also live in the signal zone of a still operating FrankenFM, Streetz 87.7 and 102.1. They legal ID on 87.75 like a regular radio station, in fact, they didn't begin operating a digital TV signal until the day before yesterday. Somebody must've complained or something.
        Welcome!

Streetz holds FCC Special Temporary Authority to experiment with the operation of an ATSC 3.0 ("NexGen TV") digital signal and an FM audio signal on the same channel. They're licensed as a "Low Power TV station". The authority is valid for 180 days (from mid-August IIRC). The TV portion of the signal cannot be viewed on most TV sets, but should work on a newer "NexGen" receiver. I'm seeing them for as little as $650 on BestBuy.com.

They were supposed to be running a TV signal all along. (a similar "FrankenFM" in Anchorage, Alaska got in trouble for not transmitting video) They were supposed to shut down any analog TV signal on July 13th.

Again, this authority is temporary & experimental. That said, the 90-day reports STA holders have been filing strongly suggest this mode works -- that both the ATSC 3.0 TV and analog FM signals can be received without mutual interference -- which suggests to me the FCC will find it difficult to avoid issuing permanent authority. Although one legal premise these stations are hanging their hats on strikes me as iffy.
        Doug Smith W9WI
        Pleasant View, TN EM66
        http://www.w9wi.com

Comment

Welcome Casey,

You have made the right decision to move up into a professional DX club.

If you are not aware, you can find us on Facebook at 'TV & FM DXing'.

I concur with W1BSM statement above.

The best advise I can give you is to do things that make you happy in this hobby field as there are many branches within it to pursue.

Experiment with your hardware, software, have a audio recorder, keep detailed log reports, post your DX receptions on YouTube and
          have tons of patience.

If you are still on Discord you can find me at 'GACTVDX'.

Regards,
          Mike Schaffer
          KA3JAW
          Easton, PA
          FN20jq

Comment

Originally posted by GACTVDX View Post
            Welcome Casey,

You have made the right decision to move up into a professional DX club.

If you are not aware, you can find us on Facebook at 'TV & FM DXing'.

I concur with W1BSM statement above.

The best advise I can give you is to do things that make you happy in this hobby field as there are many branches within it to pursue.

Experiment with your hardware, software, have a audio recorder, keep detailed log reports, post your DX receptions on YouTube and
            have tons of patience.

If you are still on Discord you can find me at 'GACTVDX'.

Regards,
            Mike Schaffer
            KA3JAW
            Easton, PA
            FN20jq
            My Discord is Radar#0001 if you want to add me. I’d be more than willing to chat with you.

Comment

Working...
            X