Interference caused by computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interference caused by computers

First of all, love this new site! My computer throws off some serious RF to my TV and FM. The heaviest hash is spread between channels 2-4. Any help to get rid of the interference would be appreciated.

I have tried every every filter and moving the coax and moving the TV. Nothing helps. The monitor also adds to the noise. HELP!

Steve Solomon
    Cape Cod

coping with RFI

Steve, I put up with considerable noise created by my monitor also in the 20-70MHz range. sometimes if I'm really trying to pull something out on ch 2 or on 50 MHz I turn off the monitor. The only solutions I know of are to move the computer and monitor further away from the antenna or switch to a LCD flat screen monitor. My understanding is that they do not create the RF that a conventional tube monitor does. I'm tolerating it for now and hoping the price of the 17" flat screens comes down more. If it is the computer itself generating the noise I know of no other solution than to get a better computer.
    Last edited by KW4RZ; 07-15-2005, 09:17 PM.
    Randy KW4RZ Goldfield, Nevada DM17

Comment

Interference

One of the best things I did in my shack was to go to a flat screen LCD monitor. I find a 15" to be quite adequate. I did make a conscious decision that I wanted the lack of interference more than I did the larger size and I don't regret it. I had noise on both AM & FM from the monitor. But don't discount noise from a telco DSL modem or router either, although fortunately that doesn't seem to be radiated - just propagated via the cable.
      Russ Edmunds
      15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
      WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
      Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
      Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
      all w APS9B @ 15'
      Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

Working...
      X