Great tropo DX from Oct 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great tropo DX from Oct 24

Overnight Saturday night Oct 22-23 here in Poughkeepsie I had some really nice FM tropo from North Carolina out to 510 miles with six new logs and several "old" ones. Attached Oct 23 FM DX composite.mp3 is a brief composite of many that I heard. (New Logs marked "*")

Stations in the clip: *WTKF-107.1 Atlantic, WOBR-95.3 Wanchese, *WKHC-97.1 Hatteras, *WOBX-98.1 Manteo, *WDLZ-98.3 Murfreesboro, WIKS-101.9 New Bern, *WMGV-103.3 Newport, *WOTJ-90.7 (FBN) Morehead City WSFL-106.5 New Bern.

With overcrowding of the local FM band, southerly FM tropo has been very unproductive in recent years. Usually when coastal tropo occurs, NYC FM (to my south) is extremely strong, and that along with NYC IBOC destroys the band, and Philly takes care of any "holes" that might exist. During this opening, NYC was not enhanced, and Philly was not very strong, and the NC DX came barreling through., This is my first day with 6 non-Es FM logs in one day since May 21, 2018 when FM tropo to the west got me 9 new FM's (Michigan, Ontario, Pennsylvania)..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dtvdxer; 11-02-2022, 10:51 AM.

Out of all the channels you heard, the only open ones here are 95.3, 98.3 and 106.5. And I agree with you; when tropo is up from the South, the NYC HD clogs up the band. And what isn't clogged by New York City gets wiped out by Philadelphia. New York is a major pain. The best I can do with ordinary tropo is WAYV 95.1 which seems to be in at various times of the day with WRKI phased out. It's probably more TrS than Tr. And the only Philadelphia FM that comes in here regularly is WUMR-106.1 which will jump over WBLI often in the mornings or later. That could be scatter also. The Spanish makes it east to tell it's them.
    Last edited by Mike-CT; 10-28-2022, 07:52 PM.
    Enfield, CT USA
    Visit Mike's DX at https://mikesdx.com or go here.

On the web since 1999! (that's 23 years!)
    See what else I have over there

Comment

Chris, you sure receive a lot of nice DX.
      Danny

North Louisiana

Comment

Working...
      X